Events, decisions, and reports at Council this week
Vancouver City Council convened this week to hear and deliberate on a variety of topics during Regular Council and the Standing Committee on City Finance and Services.
Tuesday, May 28
Regular Council started with a presentation by Dr. Peter German on money laundering in the BC real estate sector.
Dr. German was appointed by the Province in September 2017 to conduct reviews on British Columbia's anti-money-laundering policies and practices and the scale and scope of illicit activity in the real estate market. Based on Dr. German's findings, the Province announced on May 15, 2019 that it would hold a public inquiry into money laundering.
Following the above report reference, council approved all administrative reports on the agenda with amendments, including:
- Report Back on Proposed Amendments to City Sponsorship Policy Review PDF file (383 KB)
- Regulation Clothing Donation Bins PDF file (250 KB)
- 2019 Downtown Eastside (DTES) Capital Grant Program Allocation PDF file (801 KB)
The following policy reports in front of Council were also approved as recommended by staff:
- Request to remove DCL Waiver & Amend Housing Agreement for CD-1 rezoning at 2153-2199 Kingsway PDF file (165 KB)
- Request to Amend the Conditions of By-law Enactment for the CD-1 Rezoning at 118-150 Robson Street PDF file (209 KB)
Council then voted to refer the following items to the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities meeting on June 12, 2019, beginning at 3pm, in order to hear from speakers.
- Protecting Rental Housing Stock Along Arterial Streets PDF file (22 KB)
- Reducing Truck Pollution in Clark-Knight Corridor and Other City Streets PDF file (52 KB)
The meeting was adjourned at 10pm with the following agenda items yet to be considered:
- Punjabi Market at Fifty: Celebrating the Past and Planning for the Future PDF file (23 KB)
- Exploring New Forms of Hospitality in Housing Tenure to Support Purpose-Built rental PDF file (26 KB)
- A Comprehensive Strategy for Realizing the Full Potential of the Nighttime Economy in the City of Vancouver PDF file (31 KB)
- Cannabis as an Alternative to Opiates and More Dangerous Drugs on the Downtown Eastside PDF file (35 KB)
These incomplete items will be put on the next Regular Council meeting agenda on June 11 as Unfinished Business. Council may decide, on June 11, whether to refer the items to June 12 at 3pm to hear from speakers.
Wednesday, May 29
The Standing Committee on City Finance and Services meeting got underway with Mayor and Council approving agenda item 3 - 2019 Cultural Grant Allocations (Community Arts, Cultural Infrastructure) PDF file (391 KB) on consent.
Council then approved with amendments agenda item 1 - Interim Report - Women's Equity and Trans, Gender Variant, and Two-Spirit Inclusion PDF file (241 KB)
The following reports were approved as recommended by staff:
- Theatre Rental Grant Allocations – Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 PDF file (436 KB)
- Contract Award for Consultant for Arbutus Greenway Character Zones Three and Eight PDF file (58 KB).
The next Regular Council meeting is scheduled for June 11, 2019, at 9:30am.