Green infrastructure, protected bike lane coming to Richards Street
We are upgrading critical street infrastructure along Richards Street between Cordova and Pacific streets. The project includes the introduction of green infrastructure and transportation upgrades to benefit all users.
Construction will start on Monday, January 6, 2020, with anticipated completion in spring 2021.
The green infrastructure includes:
- Storm water tree trenches to reduce street runoff
- 100 new trees to increase the urban forest downtown
Additional upgrades include:
- Protected intersections
- Traffic signal reconstruction
- Sidewalk improvements
- Street repaving
- One block of sewer upgrades
- Two new Mobi bike share stations
The transportation upgrades include:
- Building a new bike lane along Richards Street to improve cycling access in the downtown area
- Safer and more comfortable cycling route for people of all ages and abilities
Bike network improvements
The improvements will close major gaps in the existing bike network by:
- Providing a north-south connection to Gastown and False Creek
- Enhancing cycling connections with east-west routes
- Creating safer navigation at intersections for everybody
Design based on public feedback
The new design is based on extensive public feedback gathered in 2018 online and in person. It maintains current motor vehicle volumes and approximately 85% of the street parking. The improved separation and two-way bike operation responds to specific requests we heard regarding the existing bike lane during engagement in 2016.
What to expect during construction
- To minimize traffic impacts, the work will be done in four to five-block segments over two phases, starting in sections between Cordova and Nelson. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in the area of construction.
- Access to residences, businesses, and most sidewalks will be maintained throughout construction. Detours around active construction areas may be in effect for people walking.
Please plan ahead by:
Thank you for your patience while this work is completed.