How to recycle your Christmas tree this season
We make recycling live, cut Christmas trees easy with four free options for Vancouver residents this holiday season.
- Bring your tree to any Lion’s Club chipping event January 8-9
- City-wide tree (and extra leaf) collection January 22-23
- Cut your tree into small pieces and put it in your Green Bin
- Drop your tree off for free at the Transfer Station or Landfill until January 31
Prepare your tree for recycling, remove all lights, decorations, and tinsel beforehand. Artificial trees or trees sprayed with artificial snow or foam are not accepted.
Trees collected through our programs are turned into nutrient-rich compost at the Vancouver Landfill. This compost is then sold to residential gardeners, commercial landscapers and municipal parks departments.
Lions Club Tree Chipping Events
Donations of cash and non-perishable food items are welcome and will be distributed to local charities.
- Saturday, January 8, 2022, 10am to 4pm
- Sunday, January 9, 2022, 10am to 4pm
- King George Secondary School parking lot
- Kitsilano Beach parking lot
- Kerrisdale Ice Arena parking lot
- Trout Lake Community Centre parking lot
Curbside Tree (and extra leaf) Collection
Trees and extra leaves will be collected from homes with City Green Bin service the weekend of January 22 and 23. Residents should set out their tree and leaves before 7am on Saturday, January 22, in their regular collection area to avoid being missed.
- Saturday, January 22, 2022
- Sunday, January 23, 2022
Cut it, Green Bin it
Trees cut into small pieces are accepted as part of regular Green Bin service. Pieces should be less than 10 cm in diameter and 50 cm long, and the lid of the Green Bin must close completely.
Free Drop-off to Transfer Station or Landfill
Trees can be dropped off for free until Monday, January 31, 2022, at the following locations:
- Vancouver South Transfer Station, 377 West Kent Avenue North
- Vancouver Landfill, 5400 72nd Street in Delta