Property tax notices in the mail this week
Payment deadline extended to September 30
This week property owners will begin receiving their annual tax notices from the City of Vancouver in the mail.
In April, City Council approved a delay in the 2020 payment deadline for both residential and commercial property taxes. The new tax payment deadline is September 30, 2020, moved from July 3. The extended deadline also applies to the Home Owner Grant.
Taxes can be paid at any time once the notice has been received – the extension of the property tax deadline is intended to help residential and commercial property owners who may be experiencing financial hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Late payment penalties will take effect on October 1 for any property taxes not paid by September 30.
How to pay your taxes
Property owners can pay their taxes:
- Via online banking
- Sign up for e-billing
- At a bank or ATM
- By mail (postmarks are not accepted as proof of on-time payment)
- By dropping off a cheque or money order in the City Hall mail slot at the 12th Avenue entrance – for the safety of our staff and the public during the pandemic, cash payments are discouraged
What to do if you require assistance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, public access to City Hall is limited at this time and is by appointment only. If you need assistance in paying your taxes, call 3-1-1. If you require further help, call 604-673-8216 to request an in-person appointment.
Property Tax Deferment Program
Residents are also advised that due to a change by the Province of British Columbia, residential property owners in Vancouver must now submit their property tax deferment applications and renewals directly to the Province via their website.
We can no longer accept deferment applications and paper applications will no longer be accepted at City Hall. For more information:
- Contact the Province at 1-888-355-2700 toll free (in BC) or 250-387-0555 (outside BC)
- Email email@example.com
Go to to our website and social media channels for a more detailed list and status of City facilities and services.
Restart and recovery
Vancouverites have been doing a great job of reducing the spread of COVID-19 by staying home and staying put. As we shift into recovery and restart, we are asking you to:
- Stay strong – keep two metres apart, do not attend large gatherings, and stay home if you are feeling unwell
- Stay local – support local businesses and your neighbourhood