Say “I do” to a wedding at City Hall this summer
Hot off the heels of our successful micro-wedding pilot project, lovebirds will be delighted to hear that City Council have opted to make civil wedding ceremonies a permanent fixture at City Hall.
Wedding bells in August?
Couples waiting to wed needn’t wait, as 30-minute ceremonies are available to book online as early as next month. For now, ceremonies will continue to follow the micro-wedding model, which allows for up 10 attendees, including the couple, officiants, and guests.
Bookings are open for the remainder of the year, and we currently have openings on:
- July 26 (reserved for LGBTQ2+ weddings to launch Vancouver’s PRIDE Week)
- August 5, 6, 26, and 27
- September 3 and 4
- October 8 and 15
- November 19
- December 10 and 17
Ceremonies for the remainder of 2021 will take place indoors at City Hall, however in the future, outdoor ceremonies will also be offered on the Helena Gutteridge Plaza adjacent to City Hall.
About the pilot year
110 couples exchanged vows during the pilot year, which ran from May 2020 to June 2021. Couples were given the option to say “I do” indoors in the Council Chambers or on the Helena Gutteridge Plaza.
COVID-19 public health directives meant that the pilot followed our micro-wedding model, with attendee numbers limited to 10 and a COVID-19 Safety Plan in place. The pilot provided a solution for couples and officiants wanting to continue with prior wedding plans that were postponed or cancelled due to the pandemic.
When couples and officiants were asked what they liked about having the ceremony at City Hall, comments included:
- “Ringing the bell in Council Chambers is a unique way to mark significant milestone!”
- "The iconic location is ideal for vows and photos, helping to create lasting memories.”
- “The ceremony room was bright and welcoming.”
Things to remember
- The booking fee for ceremonies is $275 plus GST. Get details on what this fee includes and available dates
- Couples need to make their own arrangements for an officiant External website, opens in new tab and apply for and purchase a marriage licence External website, opens in new tab .
- Five people, including the couple, officiant, and two witnesses are required to hold a civil wedding ceremony.
- Currently, the maximum capacity for our micro-weddings is 10 people in total, including vendors, guests, and the couple.