Seismic upgrades and repairs start Wednesday on Cambie Street Bridge
Starting Wednesday, August 25, we will start making important structural repairs as part of a complete seismic retrofit and upgrade, along with lighting upgrades, to the Cambie Street Bridge. We are asking drivers, transit users, cyclists, and pedestrians to plan ahead, use alternate routes and to expect delays between August and December 2021.
Work will begin with the installation of new lighting along the bridge. This work will require small areas of the bridge to be intermittently closed as crews replace each lamp.
The main bridge deck work will start in early September and will require closing the sidewalk and cycle lane on one side. Walking and cycling access will remain in place on the non-working side of the bridge. During this early stage of work, drivers will continue to have two travel lanes in each direction.
As work progresses, we will notify drivers via electronic signage and social media of changing traffic impacts and install detour signs for people who walk, bike and roll.
- Lighting upgrades
- Bridge deck repairs (September to December 2021)
- South pedestrian staircase repairs
- Seismic upgrades under the south side of the bridge (August to spring 2022)
Traffic impacts from September to December
- Reduced vehicle speeds
- A minimum of two lanes in each direction will generally be maintained (with periods where lanes will be reduced to one in each direction)
- Temporary closures of on/off ramps when required
Walking and cycling
- Intermittent pedestrian and bike detours will be in place. Both modes will be diverted to opposite side of the bridge
- During west side bike lane closure the east side path will become a shared pedestrian-bike facility
- During east side bike lane closure the west side bike lane will become a bi-directional bike facility
Built in 1985, the Cambie Street Bridge was constructed before the introduction of more stringent and comprehensive earthquake requirements in the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code.
As such, we are planning a complete seismic retrofit and rehabilitation of the bridge to ensure it continues to offer a safe means of transportation for the public. Similar work has been underway on the Granville Bridge, which is scheduled to be completed by mid-September. The Cambie Street Bridge deck work is scheduled to be completed in December 2021, and the work under the bridge is scheduled to be completed by end of spring 2022.
Throughout construction, traffic lanes, pedestrian facilities, and bike facilities will be opened to the travelling public whenever it’s feasible to do so.