The Future We Want: The Change We Need
It's so important that we continue to hear from a range of voices about what critical choices they would make to allow our neighbourhoods and communities to thrive - both in the near term and into the future.
Gil Kelley, General Manager of Planning, Urban Design, and Sustainability
Today, we're launching the next phase of public engagement to develop the Vancouver Plan.
The Future We Want: The Change We Need will offer everyone the opportunity to explore the 10 Provisional Goals for the Vancouver Plan.
The focus of Phase 2 of Vancouver Plan will be building toward critical choices we collectively need to make to achieve these goals in the future.
The goals reflect the key issues we heard through the intense Listen and Learn Phase 1 of public engagement, such as increasing unaffordability, greater inequity, eroding trust in government, and many becoming anxious for future generations in Vancouver.
Where do we go from here?
We are launching the second phase of Planning Vancouver Together in response to these concerns by asking the question:
How do we change course so that we collectively thrive in the future?
"We need a different path than the one we are currently on, and small tweaks will not get us where we need to go. That is the clear message we've heard from residents, community members, and stakeholders," said Gil Kelley, General Manager of Planning, Urban Design, and Sustainability. "We know people are struggling right now. That's why it's so important that we continue to hear from a range of voices about what critical choices they would make to allow our neighbourhoods and communities to thrive - both in the near term and into the future."
There will be many options for the public to engage in a change-focused dialogue in Phase 2:
- Online survey available today
- Take-home conversation kit starting November 23
- Online public forums and workshops starting December 10
- Programs to support community and youth involvement
Together, let's create a new Vancouver Plan, one that puts you at the heart of our priorities for the present and future.
These goals are based on the perspectives and stories we heard from over 12,000 residents, community members, interest groups, and stakeholders in the first phase of our public engagement, and will guide the development of a Vancouver Plan for all.
- Advance a City of Reconciliation through Decolonization
- Create an Equitable, Diverse, and Inclusive City
- Become a Sustainable, Carbon Neutral City
- Be a Prepared, Safe, and Resilient City
- Develop an Affordable City with Diverse and Secure Housing for every resident so that housing costs are not more than 30% of household income
- Support a Diverse and Healthy Economy
- Achieve Complete, Connected, and Culturally Vibrant Neighbourhoods
- Re-Establish Thriving Urban Natural Systems
- Intentionally Manage our Growth and Align our Efforts Regionally
- Demonstrate Transparency in Decision-Making and Collaborate with Partners
Many of these goals will not feel new, but they highlight that the solutions of yesterday are proving unable to address the challenges of today.
About Planning Vancouver Together
Planning Vancouver Together is an intensely engaging process that aims to reflect the diversity of our population and results a long-term, strategic vision and actionable Vancouver Plan.
It will guide how we grow, invest, govern, and work to build a city where current and future generations can thrive.
The process to develop a Vancouver Plan will guide and integrate long-range policy efforts across all City departments. It is being developed in coordination with a number of other City programs that are currently underway, such as: COVID recovery, Climate Emergency Response, Broadway planning, Equity Framework, and Employment Lands and Economy Review and other key initiatives.
More information can be found at vancouverplan.ca.