Water main replacement work starts Monday on West Georgia
Starting Monday, January 6, engineering crews will begin replacing a critical water main along W Georgia Street between Thurlow and Howe streets. Lanes will be reduced along these blocks until the project is completed in April 2020 ahead of the annual Sun Run.
We are asking commuters to plan ahead and to expect delays.
Installed almost 100 years ago, the current water main has reached the end of its service life and has a history of frequent breaks. Crews will be installing 375 meters of new water main in three phases. The new water main will last about 100 years and contribute to a more seismically resilient water network.
- A minimum of three traffic lanes will be maintained in areas where construction is occurring: two lanes westbound and one lane eastbound.
- During rush hours, two lanes in each direction will normally be maintained.
- Throughout construction, traffic lanes will be opened to the travelling public as soon as it’s feasible to do so.
Cadillac Fairview road work starting in February
Cadillac Fairview (Pacific Centre) will start waterproofing membrane work along Howe Street between Dunsmuir and Georgia streets. In May, the work will move to Georgia Street between Granville and Howe streets and continue until November. This work is required in order to protect the structure that supports the roads in these locations.
On Howe Street, two lanes southbound will be closed to facilitate the work. For the Georgia Street work, it will proceed in two phases (southern half and then northern half), with a minimum of one lane in each direction maintained throughout.
- We have 1,489 km of water pipes valued at $2.4 billion across the city
- In 2019, we replaced 9.6 km of water pipes
- In 2020, we will replace 13.4 km of water main, including upgrades that support growth