The Vancouver Park Board is restoring a small segment of a historical stream in Volunteer and Tatlow parks originally known as ‘First Creek’.
This project is a unique opportunity to daylight the stream and connect the existing stream in Tatlow and Volunteer Parks to English Bay and improve access to the beach and shoreline.
- Improved rainwater management through green rainwater infrastructure including raingardens and a constructed wetland
- Improved access to the beach and shoreline though an accessible ramp
- Enhanced biodiversity through extensive native plantings
- Habitat creation for birds, pollinators and aquatic species
- New pathways, additional seating amenities
- Upgrades to the Point Grey Road storm sewer infrastructure
Weaving the City Together
This project aligns with VanPlay and the aim of ‘Weaving the City Together’ by reconnecting landscapes, improving the flow and quality of rainwater, and connecting and enriching ecosystems throughout the city. This project also helps to achieve the following VanPlay goals:
- Goal 5: Adapting to changing climate
- Goal 7: Restoring wild spaces
- Goal 8: Seek Truth as a foundation for Reconciliation
Other key policies this project supports includes the RainCity Strategy, Biodiversity Strategy, and the Climate Emergency Action Plan.
Consultation with the Host First Nations has been a priority throughout the project including input into the concept design that was approved by the Board in 2020. Several phases of an Archaeological Impact Assessment were completed in 2022 with continued archaeological monitoring during construction in 2023.
What's happeningConstruction to begin in 2023
Construction of the Tatlow and Volunteer Parks Creek Stream Restoration is expected to begin in March 2023 pending council approval.
The project is anticipated to be completed in December 2023.
Here are our planned steps to restore the historical stream.>
Concept design development
Public open house
Educational open house
Proposed concept presented at final open house
Board approves conceptual design
Detailed design and tender
Contact information, partner agencies, and website policies