Urban Weaver art project
The Urban Weaver supports artists from diverse traditions working with ecologists to explore the creative repurposing of green waste.
Todd Devries (Haida)
|Greg Ferguson, Registered Professional Biologist
|Stanley Park Ecology Society
Vancouver Park Board
|MacLean Park Fieldhouse,
near the Strathcona Community Centre
|Use abundant invasive plants as a substitute for traditional weaving materials that cannot be sustainably harvested
Using invasive plants as weaving material
English ivy, Himalayan blackberry, and yellow flag iris hold great potential as contemporary alternatives, replacing materials such as cedar bark and cattails that cannot be sustainably harvested in urban centres.
If you want to get involved
- Meet the artists during open studio times.
- Participate in community workshops.
- Harvest and prepare plant materials for your own personal creative projects.
- Organize a group workshop at MacLean park for a maximum of ten people who are 9 years old or older.
- Read The Urban Weaver Project blog.