Interior of a childcare centre

Developing a childcare centre

Changing an existing childcare facility

Contact Vancouver Coastal Health’s Community Care and Facilities Licensing (CCFL) division at 604-675-3800. All enquiries will be forwarded to our Commercial Renovation Centre (CRC) for review.

Our staff work with developers, building and landscape architects, and early childhood educators to plan and design new group childcare centres in ways that contribute to the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical wellbeing of children.

Steps for establishing a childcare centre

If you are running a childcare with eight children or less, you will:

  • Need to live in your home
  • Not need a development permit, but you will be required to get a special inspection of your home followed by a building permit

All new childcare centres and changes to exiting childcare centres require community care facilities licensing (CCFL) approval before we review an enquiry. If you don't have this clearance, you will need to contact Vancouver Coastal Health  .

Getting childcare

Find out how to locate childcare in your area, and get added to waiting lists.

Resources for educators and administrators

City staff have gathered a number of useful resources to help you establish a high-quality licensed daycare facility.

Contact us

Social Policy and Projects

Development and Building Services Centre
Contact us online