Rising housing costs and low rental-housing vacancy rates mean renters may have difficulty finding and affording suitable housing.
This difficulty increases when they have to move because their building gets renovated or redeveloped.
We're taking action to add immediate supports for renters.
Enhanced Broadway Plan area protections
On June 22, 2022, Council approved the Broadway Plan, which introduced enhanced tenant protections for renters in the Broadway Plan area, in addition to the existing City-wide Tenant Relocation and Protection Policy (TRPP).
For questions about Broadway Plan area tenant protections:
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 3-1-1
For other renter-related concerns, visit renter supports and protections.
About the Tenant Relocation and Protection Policy
- Applies to rezoning and development applications received from February 15, 2016 onward
- Replaces the City's Rate of Change Guidelines (which applies to development applications received before February 15, 2016)
- Supplements the BC Residential Tenancy Act
- Process and requirements bulletin (updated August 20, 2022) PDF file (300 KB)
- 2019 Policy (applicable after June 11, 2019) PDF file (420 KB)
- 2015 Policy (applicable before June 11, 2019) PDF file (789 KB)
- Summary of June 11, 2019 policy amendments PDF file (328 KB)
- Council report 2015 PDF file (570 KB)
- Staff presentation 2015 PDF file (5 MB)
For questions about our Tenant Relocation Policy, including eligibility and compensation.