The book may be:
- Fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or drama written for adults or children
- An exploration of any aspects of the city such as its history, geography, diverse communities, current affairs, or the arts
- Written or published anywhere in the world
- Published in 2019 or 2020
A book is ineligible if it is a reissue of a prior edition, text book, or previously submitted.
The book must contribute significantly to an appreciation and understanding of Vancouver and heighten awareness of one of the following:
- Rich diversity and culture, including Vancouver’s place on the unceded homelands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations
- Vancouver’s history
- Vancouver’s unique character
- The achievements of Vancouver’s residents
The book must excel in one or more of the following:
If no book deemed worthy of this award is submitted, the prize will not be awarded.
How to submit a book for the award
1. Submit an online entry form:
- Go to programs and find Vancouver Book Award program
- Submit a separate entry for each book title
2. Mail or deliver in person the following items for each book submitted:
- Four copies of the book
- $20 entry fee (payable by cheque to the City of Vancouver)
- City of Vancouver Book Award
City of Vancouver
453 West 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4
3. If selected as a finalist, you will be asked to provide five additional copies of the book.
Important note Submission deadline is June 18, 2021 at 4pm.