Call 911

911 is to be used only for emergencies (police, fire or medical) where an immediate response is required – when there is an emergency and lives are in danger, immediate action is required or there is a crime in progress.

Most calls to 911 ARE NOT of an emergency nature and an immediate response IS NOT required.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired, find out how to register and use Text 9-1-1.

Call (604) 717-3321

(604) 717-3321 should be used for all non-emergency situations, where an immediate response or dispatch of the police IS NOT required – when some time has elapsed since the incident occurred, the crime suspect is not on the scene or you are calling about a nuisance issue (e.g. noisy party, graffiti).

Crimes in Other Jurisdictions

If you need to report a non-emergency crime that occured outside of Vancouver, please contact the appropriate police agency.

Examples of Emergency & Non-Emergency Calls

Emergency Examples

Examples of calls to 911 for police:

  • an event that involves an immediate threat to person or property (e.g. screams or shots fired)
  • a substantive in-progress crime (e.g. fight, break and enter or impaired driving; this includes drug dealing if the suspect is on scene)
  • a serious crime that has just occurred (e.g. sexual assault or robbery)
  • a suspicious circumstance that may indicate an immediate criminal act (e.g. prowler, door-to-door salesperson who doesn't have proper identification, vehicle "casing" the neighbourhood)

911 calls within the Greater Vancouver Regional District go directly to the ECOMM central call taking centre.

The use of (604) 717-3321 for all non-emergency reporting helps to keep the 911 lines available for people reporting an emergency situation.

If you are unsure how serious an incident is, call 911 and they will advise whether or not to call the non-emergency number (604) 717-3321.

Non-Emergency Examples

Examples of non-emergency calls for police:

  • reporting a crime with no suspect (e.g. theft of license plate)
  • reporting a non-emergency crime with suspect, but suspect is not on the scene (e.g. fraud)
  • reporting a serious crime with suspect, but with a lengthy delay (e.g. assault that occurred last night at a bar)
  • non-emergency incidents in-progress (e.g. noisy party, barking dog)
  • ongoing crime issues, not in-progress (e.g. graffiti problems, or ongoing drug dealing with the suspect not on the scene)
  • a suspicious circumstance that may indicate an on-going criminal activity (e.g. marijuana grow operation)

VPD Contact Information

See Contact the VPD for locations and other contact information.


If you can see the graffiti happening now, call 9-1-1 - it is a crime in progress.

If you observe graffiti on your property, call our non-emergency number at (604) 717-3321, or report it online.

If you find graffiti elsewhere, call 3-1-1 (outside Vancouver, call 604-873-7000).

If you have questions about graffiti or would like to submit photos, please email them to vpdgraffiti@vpd.ca.

For more information on managing graffiti, visit this City of Vancouver webpage.

Other City Issues – Who to Call

Problems involving garbage, unsafe street conditions and municipal code violations should be reported to the local department holding responsibility.

Crimes in Other Jurisdictions

The VPD is responsible for policing in the City of Vancouver. If you need reporting a crime that has happened in another city or area, please contact the appropriate police agency.