Transportation related injuries are the second highest cause of serious injuries arriving at hospital emergency departments.
We use collision data to:
- Identify key safety issues
- Prioritize intersections and corridors in need of detailed safety assessments
- Develop effective safety strategies
- Monitor our progress
Get the numbers
To better understand transportation related collisions and avoid any gaps in our analysis we are currently reviewing a variety of data sources:
- Transportation related fatalities from the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) External website, opens in new tab: VPD provides fatality data shortly after they occur.
- Collision claims reported to ICBC External website, opens in new tab: ICBC collects all reported vehicle and motorcycle collisions in Vancouver and provides this data to us every year. ICBC data has been our most extensive data source for many years.
Current data trends
Other data sources we are exploring
To understand traffic related injuries, we are looking at the following data sources from our health partners:
- Hospital injury data
- Ambulance data