To stop in commercial loading zones or lanes in Vancouver, a City of Vancouver decal is required. The licence must be displayed on your vehicle with a decal. If your vehicle has no permanent signage, you also need a commercial vehicle licence plate.
Business purposes means collecting or delivering of goods, wares, merchandise, or other commodities in the ordinary course of business. It doesn't include administrative or sales tasks.
Commercial vehicle decals are valid January 1 to December 31.
Important note Commercial vehicle decals issued by the City of Vancouver are only valid within Vancouver city limits.
Benefits of a commercial decal and licence plate in Vancouver
With a commercial vehicle decal and licence plate (if required) you can:
- Stop in commercial loading zones and lanes for up to 30 minutes to load or unload materials
- Stop in passenger zones for up to 30 minutes (before noon) while loading or unloading goods
- Use a metered parking space for free on any day up to 10:30am, except in morning rush hour zones (typically 7am to 10am or per the posted signs)
Apply for a commercial decal and licence plate (if required) next year starting in November using the instructions below.
Annual fees for decals range based on gross vehicle weight. If your vehicle needs a licence plate, there is an additional annual fee. The fees are set for decals and licence plates in the Street and Traffic Bylaw 2849 PDF file (797 KB).
Displaying your decal and licence plate correctly
- Decals: affix on your front window just below the rear view mirror
- Licence plates: securely fasten to the front of your vehicle, or display on your dashboard
Decals and licence plates must be visible from the exterior of your vehicle.
Managing your licence
Need to park on the Granville Mall?
Access and parking along Granville Street between Hastings and Smithe streets—the Granville Mall area—is not open to general vehicular traffic. Find out if you need a Granville Mall permit to access and park here.
Contact Revenue Services
Ground Floor, City Hall
453 W 12th Avenue
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm