This project will help meet Vancouver’s regulatory requirement to eliminate combined sewer overflows by 2050.
It will also help unlock development potential by adapting the neighbourhood sewer and drainage systems for pressures from growth and heavier rainfall expected with climate change.
This project is in partnership with the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia and has received grant funding through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
What's happeningPhase 3 construction begins December 2023
Phase 3 construction will start in December 2023 with anticipated completion in winter 2025.
Walking and cycling access will be retained where possible and detours will be in place. Watch for signage as the access points may change.
Phase 2 update
Phase 2 sewer construction will continue south of East 1st Ave until early 2024.
How this project may affect you
Information icon Phase 3 impacts will be updated closer to construction start.
January to fall 2023
March to late spring 2024
- Sewer renewal on Windermere St across East 1st Ave (complete)
- Remove temporary paving and replant median on East 1st Ave
- Continue sewer renewal south of East 1st Ave to East 4th Ave
January 2024 to winter 2025
- Sewer renewal starting at laneway north of East 1st Ave between Graveley St and Lillooet St
- Sewer main renewal along East 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Avenues and along Lillooet St, Windermere St and several laneways.
- Temporary street restoration as work advances
- Complete green rainwater infrastructure south of East 1st Ave
This project is supported through a bilateral federal and provincial grant of $15 million through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.