What you need to know
Let's register 100,000 bicycles – it's free!
The City's Greenest City Action Plan team, Park Board, Vancouver Police Department External website, opens in new tab, and Vancouver Police Foundation External website, opens in new tab have teamed up to register 100,000 bicycles into the 529 Garage bike registry for free.
How to help defend against the bike theft epidemic
- Register your bike with 529 Garage bike registry for free – it takes only five minutes!
- Get a 529 Garage decal to discourage thieves
- Lock your bike properly
Around 2,000 bicycles are reported stolen in Vancouver every year, but only a few get returned to their owners when recovered by police.
Why so few? Because many owners don't record and share their bike serial number and description.
Register your bike
In the event your registered bike goes missing, you'll have everything you need to activate the police and community to help recover your bike. This will significantly improve the chances of stolen bikes being reunited with their owners.
Download the 529 Garage mobile app External website, opens in new tab
You can also sign up on the 529 Garager website External website, opens in new tab or visit your local community policing centre.
Get tips on registering your bike with Project 529 External website, opens in new tab
529 Garage works! This person got their stolen bike back because they registered it.
Get a 529 decal
- Get a free decal at your local community policing centre External website, opens in new tab
- Visit a participating business External website, opens in new tab
Find free registration events
Follow @project529BC on Twitter External website, opens in new tab or Facebook External website, opens in new tab for upcoming pop-up events.
Or search the hashtags:
Locking your bike
Project 529 shields act as a license plate or decal for your bike. Each shield has its own code.
If your bike is ever stolen, it will make it easier for both the cycling community and the police identify your stolen bike and return it to you.
Where to get a shield:
- Project 529 registration events
- Participating community policing centres
- Bike shops - find a list of participating bike shops External website, opens in new tab