The St George Rainway is the culmination of a long-term vision to construct a rainway along St George Street between 5th Ave and Kingsway.
Rainways are park-like networks of green rainwater infrastructure features like rain gardens that incorporate plants, trees, and soil to manage rainwater. These natural elements work with the pipes, the street, and other parts of the built environment to capture and clean rainwater before returning it to the ecosystem.
Join our mailing list
Get project updates delivered to your inbox.
- Four-block of rainway phase 1 along St George Street to manage rainwater between 5th Ave and Broadway
- Improved sidewalks and pedestrian ramps to improve accessibility
- Road repaving and traffic circulation changes
- More street lighting to improve safety
- Boulevard trees and low-level planting to add habitat, increase shade, and better manage rainwater
- A new local street bikeway suitable for All Ages and Abilities (AAA) from 10th to 5th Ave
- Car-free spaces between 7th and 6th Ave and Broadway to laneway to the north
The anticipated timeline for the project is February 2023 to December 2024.