Non-resident property owners

If you own property in Vancouver – but you live elsewhere in BC – you might qualify to vote as a non-resident property elector.


To vote in the municipal election as a non-resident property elector, you must be:

  1. 18 years of age or older when you register to vote or will be 18 years of age or older on general voting day
  2. A Canadian citizen
  3. A resident in BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day you registered to vote
  4. A registered owner of property in Vancouver for at least 30 days immediately before the day you registered to vote

In addition, you must not be:

  1. Disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or are otherwise disqualified by law
  2. Living in the City of Vancouver
  3. Holding the property in trust

Learn more about eligibility requirements for non-resident property electors PDF (315 KB)

You can only be registered once on the voters list, no matter how many properties in Vancouver you own.

Jointly owned property

If your property is jointly owned, you must have written consent  (122 KB) by the majority of registered owners that authorizes you to be the non-resident property elector.

Proving ownership

Acceptable documents include:

  • Property tax notice
  • Assessment notice
  • Certificate of title

How to register to vote

  1. Advance registration is now closed but you can register in person when you vote. Bring the following with you:


Phone: 3-1-1


Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm

Election Office

1st Floor 
450 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1R4

City Clerk's Office

3rd Floor, City Hall
453 W 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4