Parking By-law 6059
The City of Vancouver regulates off-street parking to balance the needs of residents, commuters, and visitors. The Parking Bylaw applies to vehicle parking spaces, loading spaces, bicycle spaces, and passenger spaces.
Explanation of amendments to January 1, 2019
On July 25, 2018, amendments to the Parking Bylaw were approved by Council and came into effect on January 1, 2019. For Development Permit applications received before January 1st, 2019 please see below.
- Appendix A PDF file (11 KB) is revised periodically to reflect amending bylaw numbers.
- Schedule C PDF file (69 KB) - CD-1 Parking District Areas, is updated periodically with newly enacted CD-1 sites.
- Section 1 PDF file (8 KB) - Short Title
- Section 2 PDF file (319 KB) - Definitions
- Section 3 PDF file (139 KB) - Administration
- Section 4 PDF file (3.3 MB) - Off-Street Parking Space Regulations
- Section 5 PDF file (36 KB) - Off-Street Loading Space Regulations
- Section 6 PDF file (40 KB) - Off-Street Bicycle Space Regulations
- Section 7 PDF file (24 KB) - Off-Street Passenger Space Regulations
- Sections 8 to 14 PDF file (6 KB) - Amendments to Zoning and Development Bylaw and the Official Development Plan Bylaws
- Section 15 PDF file (14 KB) - General Prohibition, Offence and Penalties
- Section 16 PDF file (6 KB) - Schedules
- Section 17 PDF file (8 KB) - Effective Date of Bylaw
- Schedule A PDF file (86 KB) - Payment-In-Lieu Bylaws
- Schedule B PDF file (6 KB) - Payment-In-Lieu Fees
- Schedule C PDF file (69 KB) - CD-1 District Parking Requirements
- Appendix A PDF file (11 KB) - List of Amending Bylaws to the Parking Bylaw
- Appendix B PDF file (9 KB) - Table of Metric Equivalents
Administrative Bulletins and Supplementary Information
- The Transportation Demand Management for developments in Vancouver PDF file (2 MB) administration bulletin approved on July 25, 2018, provides guidelines for acceptable Transportation Demand Management (TDM) measures and developing TDM plans as provided for in the Parking Bylaw.
- TDM Schedule A PDF file (1.19 MB) of the bulletin provides several worksheets to assist in determining TDM applicability for a site and developing a TDM Plan.
- TDM Schedule B PDF file (586 KB) of the bulletin provides additional detailed information on acceptable TDM measures that may be included in a TDM Plan.
- The Parking and Loading Design Supplement PDF file (84 KB) provides guidelines for the design of parking and loading areas.
- Transportation Assessment and Management Study (TAMS) Guidelines for Consultants PDF file (127 KB) – revised TAMS guidelines were approved on July 25, 2018. The Guidelines were amended to reflect updates to requirements for transportation demand management (TDM) plans as provided for in the Parking By-law.
Development Permit applications received before January 1, 2019
Amendments to the Parking Bylaw, approved by council in July of 2018, came into effect on January 1, 2019 and apply to all development permits received after this date. In stream development permits received by the City prior to January 1, 2019 will be reviewed under the Parking Bylaw in force at the time of application.
A partial summary of amendments is available here:
The following consolidated bylaws are no longer in force and are provided for information only, for the purposes of development permit applications received prior to January 1st, 2019:
- Section 2 - Definitions PDF file (663 KB)
- Section 3 - Administration PDF file (257 KB)
- Section 4 - Off-Street Parking Space Regulations PDF file (1.6 MB)
- Section 5 - Off-Street Loading Space Regulations PDF file (240 KB)
- Section 6 - Off-Street Bicycle Space Regulations PDF file (308 KB)
- Section 7 - Off-Street Passenger Space Regulations PDF file (180 KB)