Terms of reference
The Urban Design Panel Bylaw establishes the Panel, and describes its membership and duties.
Function and authority
Panel meetings are open to public attendance but the meetings are not a forum for public comment. Depending on the type of project process, there are always opportunities for public input.
Recording and filming of the panel by the public is not generally allowed.
In response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) health emergency, we have transitioned to weekly virtual panel meetings until further notice. Special meetings will be convened when necessary. The meetings will be held every Wednesday at 4pm via Webex. Links to the online meetings will be posted on our website every week. Public attendance is permitted, however, the public may not address the panel.
The panel meetings are conducted by the elected chairperson in the following manner:
- The Development Planner introduces the project to the panel (referring to its location, context, background, scope and response to established bylaws and design guidelines)
- The applicant is given the opportunity to clarify any aspects of the plan to the panel (no presentation is required of the applicant)
- The panel members review the project material and provide comments and observations
- The Chairperson summarizes the comments of the panel
- The Chairperson presents a motion to either support the project, support the project with recommendations, or recommend resubmission
- The Chairperson asks city staff if they have any final comments before the vote
- The Chairperson asks the panel for a mover and a seconder for the motion, calls the vote and announces the result
- If the motion does not pass, then the chairperson asks a panel member to move another motion, call the vote, and announce the result.
Members may miss no more than four consecutive meetings without obtaining leave of absence from the panel. Membership will be terminated following the fourth such absence.