Walking and cycling around Stanley Park on the Seawall
The 9 km portion around Stanley Park takes two to three hours to walk, or one hour to cycle.
History of the Seawall
Construction of the Seawall began in Stanley Park in 1917. Much of its incremental progress was overseen by Park Board master stone mason James Cunningham from the late 1920s until his retirement 35 years later.
A plaque commemorating Cunningham's work can be seen in the rock face above the Seawall at Siwash Rock.
On September 21, 1980, the entire Seawall loop around Stanley Park was declared officially completed with the final paving between Third Beach and Second Beach.
Since 1980, the Seawall has been extended outside of Stanley Park.
In 2010 and 2011, two portions of the Seawall, Stanley Park (near Second Beach) and English Bay (near Sunset Beach), were renewed to address ongoing concerns with erosion.
With deep foundations and renewed surfacing, the new Seawall is built to withstand the tides for many years to come.