Burrard Street (Cornwall to 17th) Water and Sewer Main Replacement Project
The City of Vancouver is replacing the water main, installing a separated sewer main, upgrading portions of sidewalk, and repaving the road surface on Burrard Street from Cornwall Avenue to 17th Avenue in 2016 and 2017.
As the road is repaved, we will create a "complete street" along Burrard Street from 1st to 10th avenues. Complete streets are designed to enable safe access for road users of all ages and abilities, including people walking, cycling, taking transit, or driving.
Hours of work
- Monday to Friday: 7:00am to 3:30pm
- Weekends and extended hours as needed
Construction and road closures
Burrard Street from W Broadway to W 16th Ave is open to traffic with curb lane closures to facilitate pedestrian movement and ongoing sidewalk work.
How this project may affect you
We recognize the impacts of this project on the neighbourhood and appreciate your understanding as we complete this important infrastructure project.
1st Ave to W 4th Ave: COMPLETE
W 4th Ave to Broadway: Street has been re-paved and is open for traffic in both directions. Sidewalk, curb and gutter, curb ramp improvements are on-going. Installation of protected bike lanes is scheduled to begin in March 2017. Following completion of concrete works, new parking signs and traffic paint will be installed.
Broadway to W 16th Ave: Street has been re-paved and is open for traffic in both directions. Curb and sidewalk repairs are on-going. Curb lane closures remain to facilitate pedestrian movement. Expected completion is end of February 2017.
Some parking will be temporarily removed to allow for construction. All temporary parking restrictions will be removed as soon as they are not needed.
Currently, parking is prohibited on both sides of Burrard St during the day on weekdays. As part of the changes, full-time parking will be allowed on one side of Burrard St to serve local businesses from just south of 4th Ave to just north of Broadway. Most other evening and weekend parking stalls will be removed.
Access to all homes and businesses will be maintained.
Walking and cycling
Access for people walking and biking will be maintained along the entire project area. Expect delays during construction.
Sidewalks and crosswalks will stay open.
Access to residences and businesses
Access to residences and businesses will be maintained at all times.
We met with business owners most impacted by the new movement and turning restrictions on Cypress St to ensure their customers and deliveries have access.
We will provide advance notice of any disruption to your water supply, except if there is an emergency. During construction, you may occasionally notice cloudy water. This cloudiness is not a health concern and will usually go away within a few hours.
Water and sewer mains
This project will improve water and sewer main infrastructure in Kitsilano. Once replaced, the pipes are expected to serve the neighbourhood for 100 years.
Intersection improvements (7th Ave to 10th Ave)
View the map (584 KB)
- Traffic travelling east on 10th and 7th may turn left or right onto Burrard Street
- Traffic travelling west on 10th and 7th may only turn right onto Burrard Street
Complete street improvements (1st Ave to 10th Ave)
View the map (484 KB)
Benefits for people walking:
- Reconstructed sidewalks, curb ramps, and wider crosswalks
- More comfortable sidewalks and safer intersections
Benefits for people cycling:
- A protected southbound bike lane from Burrard Bridge to the Off-Broadway Bikeway on 7th Ave
- A painted northbound bike lane from 4th Ave to 1st Ave
- Additional bicycle parking and future public bike share stations
Benefits for people using transit:
- Redesigned bus stops to improve access and boarding
- New trees at the bus stop south of 3rd Ave
Benefits for people driving:
- Improved safety and access for local residents with new dedicated left-turn lanes for northbound and southbound travel, and dedicated right-turn lanes for southbound travel in several locations
- Improved capacity and reliability on Burrard St at W Broadway