Events, decisions, and reports at City Council for the week of January 24, 2022
Vancouver City Council met electronically this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council and Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities.
Tuesday, January 25
This week’s Council began with the approval on consent of the following communication and reports:
- Changes to 2022 Council Meetings Schedule PDF file (56 KB)
- Appointment of External Auditor for 2022 PDF file (33 KB)
- 2022 Cultural Grants (CASC, Advance Grants, Capacity) PDF file (315 KB)
Council listened to YVR Annual Presentation to Council PDF file (99 KB), presented by Tamara Vrooman, President and Chief Executive Officer, along with Juggy Sihota, Board of Directors.
Council then debated and approved the motion on Community-based Crisis Management Through Understanding and De-escalation PDF file (154 KB) - with two amendments.
After hearing two speakers, Council approved the following report:
Council also debated and approved the following:
- By-laws 1 to 36
- Requests for Leaves of Absence PDF file (38 KB)
- Cutting Red Tape: Making Homes Accessible PDF file (53 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 4128 Ash Street PDF file (736 KB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 488 Broughton Street (Formerly 480 Broughton Street) PDF file (1.8 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 1050 Gore Avenue (Formerly 1002 Station Street) PDF file (19.3 KB)
- New St. Paul’s Healthcare Campus (NSPHC) CD-1 Guidelines PDF file (1.3 MB) - with an amendment
The New Business, Revisiting the City’s Single-Use Beverage Cup Fee Policy was also approved.
On Tuesday evening, a Public Hearing was held where Council approved:
- CD-1 Text Amendment: 622-688 Southwest Marine Drive PDF file (31 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2037-2061 East Broadway PDF file (24 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 7929-7949 Cambie Street PDF file (31 KB)
- CD-1 (776) Text Amendment: 118-150 Robson Street (828 Cambie Street) PDF file (24 KB)
Wednesday, January 26
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities listened to a presentation on 2022 Assessment Roll PDF file (1 MB), presented by Preet Basra, Deputy Assessor, BC Assessment, along with Joanna Dlin, Senior Appraiser, BC Assessment.
The Standing Committee then approved the following:
- Electrification of Space Heating and Domestic Hot Water: Mechanical Permit, and Various Housekeeping and Miscellaneous Amendments PDF file (698 KB)
- Streamlining Rental Around Local Shopping Areas PDF file (11 KB)
- Supporting Crisis Centres Supporting Community Needs (Member’s Motion B.4) PDF file (115 KB) - with an amendment
- Working Collaboratively to Become a Restorative City (Member’s Motion B.7) PDF file (207 KB) - with amendments
- Making Home: Housing For All Of Us PDF file (89 KB) - with amendments
- Towards a Quieter and Emission-Free Landscape Maintenance Equipment Future in Vancouver PDF file (81 KB)
- Supporting Local Journalism and Its Impact on Civic Democracy PDF file (22 KB) - with an amendment
- Ensuring the Health of E-Comm and the Stable Delivery of Emergency Services for the Public and Residents PDF file (53 KB)
The following was not approved:
- Supporting Additional Transportation Options to Reduce Reliance on Vehicle Ownership PDF file (54 KB)
- Budget Transparency and Accountability in Municipal Election Years (Member’s Motion B.6) PDF file (138 KB)
Thursday, January 27
The Standing Committee approved the following:
- Advancing Efforts for an Age-Friendly City of Vancouver PDF file (57 KB) - with an amendment
- The Year of the Salish Sea PDF file (93 KB)
The next regular meeting of Council is scheduled for Tuesday, February 8, at 9:30am.