Roundup of Business at City Council for the week of February 13, 2023
Vancouver City Council met this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, and Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities.
Tuesday, February 14
This week’s Council began with the approval of the following reports and referral reports on consent:
- 2023 Street Cleaning Grants PDF file (178 KB)
- Appointment of childcare operators, lease approvals, childcare grant approvals, and approval of funding for maintenance of licensed childcare centres at West Fraser Lands, Henry Hudson Elementary School, and Marpole Community Centre PDF file (692 KB)
- Funding application to the Union of BC Municipalities Community Emergency Preparedness Fund for emergency support services PDF file (511 KB)
- Alignment with the electrical safety regulations, housekeeping, and miscellaneous updates to the building and electrical by-laws PDF file (182 KB)
- Establishment of civic agencies PDF file (428 KB)
- Auditor General Committee recommendations transmittal report PDF file (1.3 MB)
- Rezoning: 5828-5850 Granville Street PDF file (599 KB)
- Rezoning: 1522 West 45th Avenue and 6137 Granville Street PDF file (653 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 7688-7720 Cambie Street PDF file (2.2 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 103-111 North Templeton Drive and 2185 Oxford Street PDF file (1.5 MB)
- Rezoning: 817-837 West 28th Avenue and 4375 Willow Street PDF file (796 KB)
- Miscellaneous amendments concerning Various CD-1 By-laws PDF file (184 KB)
After that, Council approved the following reports:
- Grant to Vancouver Coastal Health for expanded mental health response PDF file (1.6 MB)
- Quarterly Capital Budget adjustments and closeouts PDF file (2.2 MB)
Council then received a presentation on City of Vancouver Permitting and Licensing update PDF file (1.5 MB), after which they approved By-laws 1-4 PDF file (17.3 MB).
The following Council Members’ Motions were also approved:
- Leaves of absence PDF file (83 KB)
- Equity Lens Review of City By-laws to ensure equity is at the forefront PDF file (166 KB)
The following items were deferred to the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities on Wednesday, February 15:
- Repealing Vancouver’s Single-Use beverage cup fee PDF file (125 KB)
- Climate action costs and benefits PDF file (124 KB)
On Tuesday evening, a Public Hearing was held where Council approved:
- Zoning and Development By-law amendments to support the Patio Program for businesses on private property PDF file (92 KB)
- Zoning and Development By-law amendments to simplify green building regulations PDF file (87 KB)
- CD-1 Text amendment: 319-359 West 49th Avenue (319 West 49th Avenue) PDF file (114 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 6151-6261 Granville Street and 1511 West 47th Avenue PDF file (122 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2518-2540 Grandview Highway South PDF file (119 KB) - with an amendment
CD-1 Rezoning: 1925 Southeast Marine Drive PDF file (120 KB) was referred to the Public Hearing on Tuesday, February 21.
Wednesday, February 15
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities began with a presentation on the Second Annual Climate Emergency Implementation update PDF file (10.7 MB). A motion and an amendment regarding the presentation were brought forward and approved.
Council also received information about Climate Justice Charter for Vancouver PDF file (3 MB).
The Standing Committee also approved referred motion, Repealing Vancouver’s Single-Use beverage cup fee PDF file (169 KB) while the referred motion Climate action costs and benefits PDF file (166 KB) was withdrawn.
A Council meeting was convened immediately following the Standing Committee meeting. In this meeting, Council approved the recommendations and actions of the preceding Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities.
Thursday, February 16
A Public Hearing will convene on Thursday, February 16, at 6pm, for Council to consider the following agenda items:
- Rezoning: 691 West 28th Avenue PDF file (17 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 8029-8225 Oak Street and 1012 West 64th Avenue PDF file (73 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 396 Southwest Marine Drive PDF file (19 KB)
- Rezoning: 1977 West 41st Avenue and 5688 Maple Street PDF file (23 KB)
- Rezoning: 807-847 East 33rd Avenue PDF file (664 KB)
The next regular meeting of Council is scheduled for Tuesday, March 7, 2023, at 9:30am.