Roundup of Business at City Council for the week of July 10, 2023
City Council met this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, and Standing Committee on City Finance and Services.
Tuesday, July 11
This week’s Council began with a moment of silence for the passing of Merritt Councillor Claire Newman who unexpectedly passed away on July 5, 2023.
Following this, Council proceeded with the meeting and approved the following reports and referral reports on consent:
- 545 East Cordova Street – (RHI 2) Amendment to the Grant Agreement Between City of Vancouver and Lookout Housing and Health Society PDF file (190 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 5235-5275 Kersland Drive PDF file (3 MB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 3747 Renfrew Street PDF file (980 KB)
After that, Council approved the following reports:
- Relationship Protocol Agreement - Squamish Nation and City of Vancouver PDF file (292 KB)
- Amendments to the Mayor and Councillor Expenses By-law PDF file (172 KB)
The report Renewal of the Heritage Energy Retrofit Grant Program PDF file (56 KB) was referred back to staff for further consideration.
Council then approved By-laws 1-9 PDF file (2.4 MB), and the following administrative motions:
- Approval of Form of Development: 1083 Nelson Street (Formerly 1059-1075 Nelson Street) PDF file (13 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 1406-1410 East King Edward Avenue PDF file (74 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 708 East 28th Avenue (Formerly 4408-4488 Fraser Street and 707-709 East 29th Avenue) PDF file (3 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 3304 Kingsway PDF file (15 MB)
On Tuesday evening, a Public Hearing was held where Council approved:
- Simplifying Development Permit Requirements & Alleviating Sewer Infrastructure Issues PDF file (94 KB)
- Rezoning: 5526-5592 Granville Street and 1498 West 39th Avenue PDF file (123 KB)
- Rezoning: 550-606 East King Edward Avenue PDF file (115 KB)
- Rezoning: 3581 West 30th Avenue PDF file (108 KB)
- Rezoning: 2596-2660 East 41st Avenue PDF file (114 KB)
- Rezoning: 3539 Hull Street PDF file (115 KB)
- Rezoning: 5650-5690 Blenheim Street PDF file (114 KB)
Wednesday, July 12
The Standing Committee on City Finance and Services began with the approval of the following reports on consent:
- Contract Award for the Construction of Sewer Separation on Oak Street PDF file (141 KB)
- Pre-Qualification of Landscape and Civil Contractors PDF file (68 KB)
- Debenture Program 2023 PDF file (203 KB)
- 2023 Property Tax Policy Review Commission PDF file (345 KB)
After that, the Standing Committee approved the following reports and member’s motions:
- Adding Missing Middle Housing and Simplifying Regulations in Low Density Neighbourhoods PDF file (166 KB) – with an amendment
- Public Notice By-law - Revised on July 10, 2023 PDF file (163 KB)
- Hastings Park - PNE Master Plan Program: Amphitheatre Renewal Update PDF file (146 KB)
- Requests for Leaves of Absence PDF file (81 KB)
The member’s motion Ensuring a Net Increase in Dignified Supportive Housing Units by Renewing Leases or Finding New Sites for Temporary Modular Housing While New Supportive Housing is Built PDF file (203 KB) was not approved.
A Council meeting was convened immediately following the Standing Committee meeting in which Council approved the recommendations and actions of the preceding Standing Committee on City Finance and Services.
Thursday, July 13
A Public Hearing will convene on Thursday, July 13 at 1pm, for Council to consider the following items:
- Miscellaneous Amendments Concerning Various CD-1 By-laws PDF file (87 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 2001-2025 West 41st Avenue and 5683-5687 Maple Street PDF file (119 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 618 West 32nd Avenue PDF file (106 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 1961-1995 East Broadway and 2465 Semlin Drive PDF file (121 KB)
- False Creek North Social Housing Delivery: Amendments to the False Creek North Official Development Plan and Consequential CD-1 By-law Amendments PDF file (96 KB)
The next regular meeting of Council is scheduled for Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 9:30 am.
Find agendas and meeting reports on council.vancouver.ca.