Roundup of Business at City Council for the week of July 24, 2023
City Council met this week to hear and discuss a variety of topics during Council, and Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities.
Tuesday, July 25
This week’s Council began with the Deputy Mayor presenting the Emancipation Day proclamation.
Following this, Council proceeded with the meeting and approved the following reports and referral reports on consent:
- Changes to 2023 Council Meetings Schedule PDF file (158 KB)
- Vancouver Heritage Foundation (VHF) Heritage Conservation Grant Program – Annual Report 2022-2023, New Grant Agreement 2023-2026, and Grant Release for 2023-2024 PDF file (1 MB)
- Amending and Enforcing the Annual Greenhouse Gas and Energy Limits By-law PDF file (166 KB)
- CD-1 Text Amendment: Vancouver Community College (1111 East 7th Avenue, 1155 East Broadway and 2350 Glen Drive) PDF file (279 KB)
- Adding Missing Middle Housing and Simplifying Regulations – Amendments to the Zoning and Development By-law PDF file (43 MB)
- Rezoning: 6333-6369 Yukon Street PDF file (1 MB)
- Rezoning: 2560-2580 Trafalgar Street PDF file (639 KB)
- CD-1 Rezoning: 351 West 16th Avenue PDF file (2 MB)
- CD-1 (818) Text Amendment: 120-150 West Georgia Street, 720-770 Beatty Street and 701 Expo Boulevard (Formerly 720 Beatty Street, and 701 Expo Boulevard) PDF file (433 KB)
After that, Council approved the following reports:
- 2023 Community Services and Other Social Grants PDF file (706 KB)
- 2024 Social Policy Grants Program PDF file (298 KB) - with amendments
- 2024 Arts and Culture Grants PDF file (396 KB) - with amendments
- Marpole Transit Centre – 9001 Heather Street – Road Exchange PDF file (295 KB) - with amendments
Council then approved By-laws 1-18 PDF file (19 MB), and the following administrative motions:
- Approval of Form of Development: 277 West 42nd Avenue (Formerly 277-291 West 42nd Avenue) PDF file (7 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 188 West 41st Avenue (Formerly 146-186 West 41st Avenue and 5726 Columbia Street) PDF file (1.2 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 601 West Pender (Formerly 443 Seymour Street) PDF file (8 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 8633 River District Crossing (Formerly 3480 East Kent Avenue South) PDF file (18 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 219 East 24th Avenue (Formerly 3970-3998 Main Street) PDF file (10 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 1098 Harwood Street (Formerly 1066-1078 Harwood Street) PDF file (3.4 MB)
- Approval of Form of Development: 1099 Harwood Street (Formerly 1065 Harwood Street and 1332 Thurlow Street) PDF file (7 MB)
- Administrative Motion – Amendments to Rezoning Policies PDF file (137 KB)
- Resolution - Closure of a Sale of Portion of Road Adjacent to 9001 Heather Street PDF file (400 KB)
A member’s motion, Modernizing Mural and Signage By-laws to support Local Businesses and a Vibrant City, was introduced on the floor and also approved.
Wednesday, July 12
The Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities began with the approval of the following reports on consent:
- 2023 Annual Inflationary Rate Adjustment to Development Cost Levies PDF file (184 KB)
- UBCM 2023 Community Excellence Awards Submission PDF file (132 KB)
- Contract Award for Contractor Services for Domestic Re-piping of the New Continental PDF file (35 KB)
Following that, the Standing Committee received a presentation on the Capital Plan Implementation Update PDF file (26 MB), and approved the following reports and member’s motion:
- Provincial ‘Growing Communities Fund’: Initial Allocation to City Projects PDF file (167 KB) - with amendments
- Contract Award for Green Bin Organics Processing PDF file (120 KB)
- Requests for Leaves of Absence PDF file (19 KB)
A Council meeting was convened immediately following the Standing Committee meeting in which Council approved the recommendations and actions of the preceding Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities.
The next regular meeting of Council is scheduled for Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 9:30am.
Find agendas and meeting reports on council.vancouver.ca.