Home > Doing Business > Waste collection for businesses

Waste collection for small businesses

Who collects it?

The City of Vancouver provides garbage, yard trimmings, and food scraps collection to existing small business customers. As of July, 2014, the City is not accepting new customers.

Small businesses must find private haulers to collect garbage, recycling, food scraps, yard trimmings, and waste from dumpsters. Get tips on recycling food scraps, beverage containers, and other materials, below.

Does a private hauler already collect your garbage and yard waste? Ask if they can also collect your recyclables and food scraps.

  City of Vancouver  Private hauler 
Garbage  Yes    (for existing customers only) Yes   Find a hauler
Recycling  No  Yes   Find a hauler
Food scraps  Yes    (for existing customers only) Yes   Find a hauler
Yard trimmings  Yes    (for existing customers only) Yes   Find a hauler
Dumpsters  No  Yes 

Start recycling food scraps from your business

In 2015, food scraps can not go in the garbage and landfill

A Metro Vancouver ban on disposing food scraps, yard trimmings, and other compostable materials in landfills and incinerators starts in 2015. This includes all raw food, cooked food, plate scrapings, and leftovers. By diverting these items from the garbage, they can help create compost soil for local agriculture.

Tips to start recycling food scraps

  1. Sort food scraps separately from garbage.
  2. Consider composting food scraps on-site.
  3. Hire a private hauler to collect food scraps .
  4. Does the City already collect your yard trimmings and garbage? We may also be able to collect your food scraps: phone 604-871-6443 and ask about the Green Bin Program.

Drop-off small amounts of recyclables at the Transfer Station

Have less than one pickup truck-full of recyclable materials per week? Drop them off for free at the City's recycling depot at the Vancouver South Transfer Station.

Recycle beverage containers at retailer or recycling depot

Return beverage containers that you paid a deposit on to a retailer or recycling depot for a deposit refund .

Get waste collection service for multi-unit buildings

Multi-unit buildings

Apply for City yard waste, food scraps, recycling, and garbage collection services for multi-unit buildings, including apartments, condos, townhouses, and mixed-use (commercial and residential) buildings.

Store dumpsters on City property

Dumpsters on City property

Learn how to apply to store a garbage or recycling dumpster on City property. Get information about the approval process, and how to maintain your dumpster.

Safely dispose of hazardous materials

Waste that needs special handling

Some types of waste are either not accepted at the Landfill or Transfer Station, or require special handling in order to be accepted for disposal. Learn more about hazardous waste and waste that requires special handling.

Get rid of building materials

Construction and demolition waste

Find out what types of construction and demolition waste is accepted at the Vancouver Landfill in Delta.

Ask. Tell. Connect.

Phone 3-1-1 to ask, tell, and connect with the City

Outside Vancouver:

Speak your own language

When should you call 9-1-1? Click to find out       Deaf? Have difficulty speaking? Click to learn how to make a TTY call

More ways to contact us

Does the City collect your garbage and yard trimmings?

We provide up to four 360-L bins and collect them weekly (or just garbage every second week, at a reduced fee).

Phone 3-1-1 to change your bin size and quantities, and find out your collection fees.

Last modified: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:49:40

Construction and demolition wasteDumpsters on City propertyWaste that needs special handling