Call for assistance

Get help with noise

Noise is part of urban life, but too much noise is disruptive and harmful.

How much noise is too much? The City of Vancouver’s Noise Control Bylaw defines how much noise is acceptable, based on:

  • Where you are
  • Where the noise is coming from
  • What is making the noise
  • What time and day the noise is occurring

Who do I talk to?

If you experience excess noise, you can get help, but be aware that several agencies deal with noise issues.


Where is the noise coming from? Who do I contact? How?
Airplanes Vancouver International Airport 604-207-7097
or email
Barking dogs and
backyard chickens
City of Vancouver 3-1-1
Buskers and entertainers City of Vancouver 3-1-1
Car alarms Vancouver Police 604-717-3321
Co-op housing building you live in  Your co-op housing board of directors or building manager  Check your documents
Fitness programs in parks City of Vancouver 3-1-1
Freight trains Canadian Pacific Railway Email
Harbour activity: Trade and commercial vessels Port Metro Vancouver 604-665-9004
or email
Harbour activity: Pleasure craft or dinner cruise boats  Vancouver Police  604-717-3321 
Helicopters Transport Canada 1-800-305-2059
or email
House alarms Vancouver Police 604-717-3321
Idling vehicles City of Vancouver 3-1-1
Mitchell Island industry and businesses Richmond Health Services  604-233-3147 
Playland and PNE PNE 3-1-1
or tell us online
Protest or demonstration Vancouver Police 604-717-3321
School yards Vancouver School Board 604-713-5000
or email
Seaplanes  Transport Canada 1-800-305-2059
or email
Skytrain and public transit TransLink 604-953-3040
or email
Special events and parades City of Vancouver 3-1-1
or tell us online
Strata building you live in Your strata council
or building manager
Check your documents
or read this guide External website
Traffic Vancouver Police 604-717-2997


Get help after hours

If the City helps with your noise issue (see the table at left) and today is a:

  • Weekday after 4:30pm
  • Weekend anytime
  • Holiday anytime

then contact the Vancouver Police Department at their non-emergency number. The Police assist with noise concerns, when resources are available.

Vancouver Police

Read the bylaw

Noise Control Bylaw

Regulates noise or sound within the City of Vancouver.