Zoning Bylaw administrative bulletins
This electronic version is amended up to January 11, 2017.
Note to subscribers: The most recent paper update is amended up to January 31, 2012. Subsequent amendments which may appear in this electronic consolidation will be included in a future update package.
Explanation of amendments since January 14, 2016
- The Half-Storey Expression and Construction Bulletin (376 KB), effective March 22, 2017, provides clarification on architectural expression, technical regulation, and construction for a “half-storey” above a second storey, for development proposals seeking conditional approval in discretionary zones.
- The Retention and Renovation of Character Merit Buildings – Scope and Documentation Bulletin (183 KB) , effective March 22, 2017, provides direction on the general scope of retention and documentation necessary for projects proposing the retention of character buildings and requesting conditional provisions of the applicable zoning by-laws.
- The Mount Pleasant Industrial Area - Density Bonus Zoning and Public Benefits (188 KB) was approved by the director of Planning, effective February 7, 2017.
- The West End - Tower Form, Siting and Setbacks Bulletin (370 KB), effective January 11, 2017, provides guidance on new residential towers (siting and massing) in the West End and contains technical criteria to ensure consistency in the review of development and rezoning applications.
- Updates to the Green Buildings Policy for Rezonings (182 KB) were approved by Council on November 29, 2016. This policy is effective immediately, and shall be mandatory for all Rezoning Applications received on or after May 1, 2017, with exceptions permitted at the discretion of the Director of Planning. For rezoning applications received prior to May 1, 2017 that have not yet been approved by Council, applicants may choose to meet this updated version of the Policy or the preceding version.
- The Joyce-Collingwood Station Precinct – Density Bonus Zoning and Public Benefits (619 KB) was approved by the director of Planning, effective September 30, 2016.
- The RM-4 Rowhouse, Courtyard Rowhouse and Stacked Townhouse Design Principles (187 KB), approved by the director of Planning on September 8, 2016, clarifies how rowhouse, courtyard rowhouse and stacked townhouse developments can be accommodated within the existing RM-4 regulations.
- The Artificial Turf on Private Property Bulletin (168 KB), approved by the director of Planning on August 23, 2016, provides clarity for the use and application of artificial turf in the private realm.
- The Solar Hot Water and Photovoltaic Panels - Installation Guidelines for Residential Zones (183 KB), approved by the director of Planning on August 10, 2016, provides a summary of the permit processes and the design considerations for the installation of roof-mounted solar hot water and photovoltaic (PV) panels in residential zones.
- The Salvage and Abatement – Rental Buildings Bulletin (170 KB), approved by the director of Planning on June 13, 2016, provides clarification regarding the requirements of Salvage and Abatement permits where demolition of a residential rental building is proposed.
- The Air Condition Units and/or Heat Pumps on Balconies Bulletin (166 KB) approved by the director of Planning on April 29, 2016, provides clarification for performance criteria in relation to the installation of mechanical units on balconies.
- The Affordable Housing Choices Interim Rezoning Policy (2.32 MB), approved by the director of Planning on April 20, 2016, replaces the "Interim Rezoning Policy on Increasing Affordable Housing Choices Across Vancouver's Neighbourhoods". The revised bulletin provides potential applicants greater clarity on the locational criteria of this policy and an adjusted map.
- The Infill and Conditional Density in RT Zones: Administration in RT-3, RT-4, RT-5, RT-6, RT-7 and RT-8 (184 KB) Bulletin approved by the director of Planning on April 1, 2016, provides clarity for the RT District Schedules and Guidelines regarding infills and discretional density being applied to sites not meeting the minimum size or the side yard requirements.
- The Procedure for Review of Protected Heritage Property Status in the First Shaughnessy Heritage Conservation Area (Heritage Character and Heritage Value Assessment) Bulletin (182 KB), approved by the director of Planning on March 8, 2016, describes the procedure for reviewing the status of a property listed as protected heritage property in the Heritage Conservation Area Official Development Plan.
- The Neighbourhood Fit Considerations Bulletin and Evaluation Form (474 KB) approved by the director of Planning on February 29, 2016, introduces neighbourhood fit considerations based on the social impact objectives in the Downtown Eastside Plan.
- The Demolition Permits for Pre-1940 Houses - Recycling Requirements Bulletin (325 KB) has been updated as of February 23, 2016, to include incentives encouraging more salvage and reuse through deconstruction and to introduce a salvage and abatement permit and a non-refundable application fee.
- The updated Bulk Storage and In-Suite Storage - Multiple Family Residential Developments Bulletin (58 KB) replaces the former Bulk Storage – Residential Developments Bulletin. The bulletin was updated as of February 10, 2016, to include criteria for in-suite storage below base surface in multiple family residential developments.
- Norquay Village Neighbourhood Centre - Density Bonus Zoning and Public Benefits (343 KB) was approved by the director of Planning on February 2, 2016.
- The Green Buildings Policy for Rezoning - Process and Requirements Bulletin (150 KB) has been updated as of January 14, 2016, to include requirements for applications using the R-2000 standard.
- The updated Green Buildings Policy for Rezoning - Process and Requirements Bulletin (150 KB) replaces the former "Green Rezoning Process" Bulletin. The relevant "Green Buildings Policy for Rezonings" is located under the general policies and guidelines.