Commercial vehicle decals and plates
The City of Vancouver has two types of commercial vehicle permits:
- BC municipal decal
- Commercial permit plate
Licensed commercial vehicles can:
- Stop in commercial loading zones and lanes for up to 30 minutes to load or unload materials
- Stop in passenger zones for up to 30 minutes (until 12 noon only) while loading or unloading materials and commodities
- Use a metered parking space without paying on any day up to 10:30am, excluding 7:00am to 9:30am rush hour zones
Renew your plate and decal annually
Decals and plates can be renewed for the following year on November 1.
Decals are valid in participating municipalities throughout British Columbia.
Apply for a plate and decal
Does your vehicle qualify?
For a vehicle to be licensed as a commercial vehicle, it must be used for the collection or delivery of goods, wares, merchandise, or other commodities in the ordinary course of business.
Vehicles used by businesses for administrative or sales-related tasks are not eligible to be licensed commercially.
The permits you need depend on your vehicle's signage
|If your vehicle has:||It needs:|
Permanent signage that:
Magnetic signage is unsuitable.
Apply with supporting documents
Up to five vehicles
Apply to Revenue Services in person (see contact on this page).
Bring current ICBC vehicle insurance (first page only) that shows the vehicle is being used for commercial or business use.
Your application will be processed immediately.
More than five vehicles
Prepare your application by completing the Commercial Vehicle Fleet Form, below.
- Commercial Vehicle Fleet Form (169 KB)
Apply with the completed form and photocopies of current ICBC registration and insurance documents for all vehicles:
- By fax to 604-873-7142 (provide a contact name and phone number on the cover sheet)
- In person to Revenue Services (see contact on this page)
Your application will be processed in about one week. We will contact you when your decals and commercial permit plates are ready for pickup.
How to pay
Once your permits are approved, pick up and pay for your permits in person. You may pay by:
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
- Debit card
- Cheque or money order (payable to the City of Vancouver)
Display your permit correctly
- Decal: Affix the BC municipal decal on your windshield
- Plate: Securely fasten the commercial permit plate to the front of your vehicle, or display it on your dashboard