Parklets: converting street parking spaces to mini plazas
Run a business or organization? Apply to install a parklet
To build on the success of the parklet program, VIVA Vancouver is piloting a stand-alone program for interested businesses and organizations to sponsor and build their own mini plazas on the street parklets.
Applications for six parklets in Mount Pleasant, Commercial Drive, Yaletown, Downtown, Kitsilano, and Commercial Drive are currently being reviewed with the potential of them being installed in fall 2013 and/or spring 2014.
Through VIVA Vancouver, there are three parklets in the city at these locations:
- Parallel Park on 14th Avenue at Main Street
- Urban Pasture on 1000-block Robson Street
- Hot Tubs on East 44th Avenue at Fraser Street.
What is a parklet?
Parklets transform on-street parking into places for people to sit, relax, and enjoy the city. Traditionally, parklets consist of an extended platform over a parking space and can include benches, tables, chairs, landscaping, and bike parking.
Parklets are sponsored by a private partner but all amenities must remain free and open for any member of the public to use. Advertising, table service and other commercial activities are not permitted.
Benefits of a parklet
- Dynamic public spaces – Parklets provide places for people to sit, relax, and enjoy the city.
- Wider sidewalks – Parklets can provide more space for people to walk where sidewalks are narrow or congested.
- Vibrant local businesses – Parklets are unique public spaces that provide seating and attract potential customers.
- Social life – Parklets foster a sense of community by creating welcoming public spaces.
How to apply for a parklet
The 2013 application period for the installation of parklets is now closed. Parklet applications may be accepted in 2014 (date to be confirmed). Please refer to the steps below.
- Read the Program Guide to learn about the application process, fees, responsibilities, design guidelines, and technical requirements.
- Program guide (1.9 mb)
- Complete the application form.
- Application form (226 kb)
- Apply in person with your completed form and $200 review fee to:
507 West Broadway (at Cambie Street)
Vancouver, BC V5Z 0B4