Parklets: converting street parking spaces to mini plazas
A parklet is typically an extended platform over a parking space, and can include benches, tables, chairs, landscaping, and bike parking.
They are designed and built by local designers, and offer interesting spaces for people to sit and relax.
Grab a bike or put on your walking shoes and visit Vancouver’s parklets.
Run a business or organization? Apply to install a parklet
VIVA Vancouver is piloting a program for interested businesses and organizations to sponsor and build their own parklets. Once the pilot is complete, the City hopes to launch a standalone parklet program with more robust guidelines and regular intake periods.
Parklets are sponsored by private partners but are free and open for any member of the public to use. Advertising, table service and other commercial activities are not permitted.
VIVA anticipates that five new parklets will be created over the coming year through the pilot. Each new parklet will be highlighted on the VIVA webpage as it's installed.
Benefits of a parklet
- Dynamic public spaces – Parklets provide places for people to sit, relax, and enjoy the city.
- Wider sidewalks – Parklets can provide more space for people to walk where sidewalks are narrow or congested.
- Vibrant local businesses – Parklets are unique public spaces that provide seating and attract potential customers.
- Social life – Parklets foster a sense of community by creating welcoming public spaces.
How to apply for a parklet
While we aren't accepting applications currently, you can still review how to apply.
- Read the Program Guide to learn about the application process, fees, responsibilities, design guidelines, and technical requirements.
- Program guide (2 MB)
- Contact VIVA Vancouver to discuss your application prior to submitting it (email@example.com)
- Complete the application form.
- Application form (225 KB)
- Apply in person with your completed form and $200 review fee to:
507 West Broadway (at Cambie Street)
Vancouver, BC V5Z 0B4