Councillor Andrea Reimer
First elected in 2002 as a School Board member with the Green Party, Andrea was inspired by Gregor Robertson’s leadership to join Vision Vancouver and was elected to City Council in 2008.
Andrea was appointed in 2008 as the Chair of the City’s Planning and Environment Committee and Council lead on the award-winning Greenest City Action Plan, overseeing Vancouver’s efforts to become a global leader in environmental action.
A strong advocate for open government reforms, Andrea brought in a world-leading Open Data program cited by BC Business magazine as the reason for naming the City of Vancouver the province’s most innovative organization in 2011. This work also extends to establishing new advisory committees for women, urban aboriginal peoples and LGBTQ community, four new community planning processes and better use of social media & technology for engagement.
In addition, Andrea championed reinstating the Joint Childcare Council, a coordinating body for civic agencies providing childcare, which has increased childcare spaces in the city by 6% since 2009.
Prior to being elected to City Council, Andrea was the Executive Director of the Wilderness Committee, a position she held from 2002. In 2007, she was chosen to be trained by Al Gore to deliver his An Inconvenient Truth PowerPoint presentation to local audiences. She has volunteered with many community organizations including CCEC Credit Union, Canadian Women’s Voters Congress, and a former co-Chair of the City of Vancouver’s Food Policy Council. She currently sits on the Vancouver Foundation’s Health and Social Development Advisory Committee.
Andrea is a fourth generation British Columbian who lives right across from her father’s family home at Trout Lake on Vancouver’s east side. On a sunny day, you can find her in the garden with her husband and daughter or playing soccer with the Van City FC soccer club.
Appointments to Council committees
- Chair, Standing Committee on Planning, Transportation, and Environment
- Chair, Nomination Sub-Committee
- Council Liaison, Greenest City Action Team
Appointments to regional, provincial, and national bodies
- Director, Greater Vancouver Regional District (Metro Vancouver)
- Metro Vancouver Engagement Task Force
- Metro Vancouver Regional Planning & Agriculture Committee
- Metro Vancouver Aboriginal Relations Committee
- Metro Vancouver Zero Waste Committee
Appointments to advisory boards and committees
- Co-Chair, Joint Childcare Council
- City Asset Naming Committee
- Family Court / Youth Justice Committee
- Urban Aboriginal Peoples Advisory Committee
- Women's Advisory Committee