Councillor Heather Deal
Councillor Heather Deal was first elected to the Vancouver Park Board in 2002 and served as its chair in 2003. She was elected to Vancouver City Council in 2005 and was re-elected in 2008, 2011, and 2014. She is the chair of the City's Planning, Transportation, and Environment Committee.
Councillor Deal brings her passions for arts and entertainment, healthy ecosystems, an animated public realm, and cycling to City Hall. She has brought forward initiatives to support artists, expand creative spaces in the city, create the food cart program, improve accessibility throughout the city, retain heritage, and increase pedestrian safety. At the regional level, Councillor Deal has worked on waste reduction, air quality, the Metro Max cultural website, ecological health, park planning, and the Experience the Fraser project. At the federal level, she is engaged in work concerning environmental health, urban Aboriginals, infrastructure, transportation, and increasing women's participation in politics.
Councillor Deal is a biologist with a long history of working on environmental and habitat issues. After 25 years in the Vancouver Bach Choir, including several terms as president of the choir's board of directors and bringing the choir to the Downtown Eastside for free concerts, she has joined the Jubilate Choir.
Raised in Michigan, she received her BA in biology from Oberlin College in Ohio in 1982 and moved from Cleveland to Vancouver for a medical research job in 1984. After receiving her M.Sc. from the University of British Columbia in microbiology/immunology in 1988, she did cancer research before changing her career path to focus on environmental issues. Councillor Deal has developed science/environmental programs for UBC Continuing Studies, designed and taught courses for people restoring fish habitat in rivers for the Province of BC, and worked on marine habitat issues with the David Suzuki Foundation.
Councillor Deal is an avid cyclist, camper, hiker, and reader, and enjoys gardening on her Kitsilano balcony.
Appointments to Council committees
- Chair, Standing Committee on Planning, Transportation, and Environment
Appointments to advisory boards and committees
- Arts and Culture Policy Council
- Active Transportation Policy Council
- Public Art Committee
- Vancouver Heritage Commission
- Vancouver Food Policy Council
Appointments to regional, provincial, and national bodies
- Director, Metro Vancouver
- Chair, Metro Vancouver Environment and Parks Committee
- Metro Vancouver Intergovernment and Finance Committee
- Experience the Fraser Board
- Delegate, Federation of Canadian Municipalities Board
- Environmental Issues and Sustainable Development Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Women's Participation Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Urban Aboriginal Working Group, Federation of Canadian Municipalities