Councillor Heather Deal
Heather Deal was first elected to the Vancouver Park Board in 2002 and served as the Chair in 2003. She was then elected to Vancouver City Council in 2005 and was re-elected in 2008 and 2011.
Heather brings her passions for sustainability, arts and culture, accessibility and affordability to City Hall. She has brought forward initiatives that support artists, expand creative spaces in the city, created the food cart program, improve accessibility throughout the city, retain heritage and increase pedestrian safety. At the regional level Heather has worked on waste reduction, air quality, the Metro Max cultural website, ecological health, park planning and the Experience the Fraser project. At the federal level Heather is engaged in work concerning immigration, urban aboriginals, community safety, increasing women’s participation in politics and housing policies.
Heather is a professional biologist and an environmental educator and activist. She sings in the Vancouver Bach Choir, has served as President of the choir's Board of Directors, and worked with the Portland Hotel Society to bring the Bach Choir to the Downtown Eastside for free concerts.
Born in England and raised in Michigan, she received her bachelor’s degree in Biology from Oberlin College in Ohio in 1982 and moved from Cleveland to Vancouver for a medical research job in 1984. After receiving her master of science from the University of British Columbia in Microbiology/Immunology in 1988, she did cancer research for several years before changing her career path to focus on environmental issues. Heather has developed science/environmental programs for UBC Continuing Studies, designed and taught courses for people restoring fish habitat in rivers for the Province of BC and worked on marine habitat issues with the David Suzuki Foundation.
Heather is an avid cyclist, camper, hiker, and enjoys gardening on her Kitsilano balcony.
Appointments to Council committees
- Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on City Finance and Services
Appointments to regional, provincial, and national bodies
- Director, Metro Vancouver
- Chair, Environment and Parks Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Electoral Area A Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Intergovernmental and Administration Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Experience the Fraser Board
- Delegate, Federation of Canadian Municipalities Board
- Social & Economic Development Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Community Safety & Crime Prevention Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Women’s Participation Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Conference Planning Committee, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
Appointments to advisory boards and committees
- Arts and Culture Policy Council
- Active Transportation Policy Council
- Public Art Committee
- Vancouver Public Library Board
- Vancouver Heritage Commission
- Vancouver Food Policy Council