Councillor Raymond Louie
Councillor Raymond Louie is serving his fifth term on Vancouver City Council, having been first elected in 2002. Throughout his years as a councillor, he has worked tirelessly to bring the will of his constituents to City Hall with a focus on supporting new affordable housing and keeping taxes low in Vancouver.
His vision is to help create a Vancouver where new opportunities to learn, succeed, and thrive are available to all. As a champion of communities, an expert in civic issues, and a fierce advocate for those who have been forgotten and ignored, he is working to ensure that this vision becomes a reality.
This term, Council has appointed him acting mayor. For the past two Council terms, Councillor Louie has served as the chair of the City Finance and Services Committee, and helped ensure that vital programs impacting affordable housing, the environment, and public safety maintained strong funding during an economic downturn.
He has served as a national representative for his union – now UNIFOR – as well as a trustee and board director on numerous regional, provincial, and national boards including the BC Municipal Finance Authority, TransLink, Metro Vancouver, and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ president and chair of the Green Municipal Fund.
Closer to home, Councillor Louie served as a member of "Generating Citizenship" which was a three-year project funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada with the objectives of bringing together seniors and youth in the community to help build a more caring, inclusive community.
He was active on the Parent Advisory Committee for Chief Maquinna School for many years, and has also been involved in Community Visions, a community liaison group in the Hastings-Sunrise neighbourhood.
Councillor Louie was born and raised in East Vancouver, where his family operated a bakery in the heart of “Little Italy” on Commercial Drive for 25 years. Today, he still calls East Vancouver home with his wife Tonya and their three children. He is an avid cyclist who raced for several years with a local team, and competed in the Gastown Grand Prix and Tour de White Rock races.
Appointments by Council
- Acting Mayor
- Member, Standing Committee on City Finance and Services
- Member, Standing Committee on Planning, Transportation, and Environment
Appointments to advisory boards and committees
- Director, Vancouver Civic Development Corporation
- Chair, Pacific National Exhibition Board
- Chinatown Historic Area Planning Committee
- Gastown Historic Area Planning Committee
Appointments to regional, provincial, and national bodies
- Vice-Chair, Metro Vancouver Regional Board
- Vice-Chair of Municipal Councils, Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA)
- Chair, Metro Vancouver Intergovernment and Finance Committee
- Chair, Metro Vancouver Federal Gas Tax Task Force Committee
- Director, Lower Mainland Local Government Association
- Director, Municipal Finance Authority
- Director, ECOMM Board
- Alternate Director, Western Transportation Advisory Council
- President, Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
- Member, FCM Standing Committee on Conference Planning
- Member, FCM Standing Committee on Increasing Women's Participation in Municipal Government
- Member, FCM Standing Committee on International Relations
- Member, FCM Standing Committee on Municipal Finance and Intergovernmental Arrangements
- Member, Governing Bodies of United Cities and Local Governments (2013-2016)
- Head judge, Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks Festival