Billboard permit

Under the Sign Bylaw, all billboards in Vancouver require permits.

If you want to light your billboard, you will also need an electrical permit. You can apply for the electrical permit at the same time as the awning permit.


Basic requirements

To apply, you need to submit:

  • A completed application form
  • Two (2) sets of drawings, to scale

The information sheet has the specific requirements for these drawings.

Additional requirements

We may require additional information if you are applying for a permit for these types of signs:

  • All free-standing signs
  • All signs weighing more than 200 lbs (91 kg) including the combined weight of the channel letters
  • Any other signs where City staff are concerned with the structural integrity of the sign

Process and timeline

You can submit your application and supporting documents by mail or courier, or in person.

If your application is complete and falls within the requirements of the bylaw, your permit will be issued once all of the documents are reviewed. That usually takes about a week.

Billboard permit fees (effective 1 January 2013)

Item  Fee 

For each sign requiring a permit



For each sign incorporating a supporting structure



For a billboard, free-standing sign or parking lot advertising sign


You pay for the permit when you apply for it. If you are applying by mail or courier, include a cheque payable to the City of Vancouver. If you are applying in person, you can pay by cheque or credit card.

The fee for an electrical permit, if you wish to light your billboard, will vary. View the fees schedule for all of the details.

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about building and zoning


Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon