Wastewater discharge permit (for industry or manufacturing)
This permit regulates how much industrial wastewater that manufacturers and industrial organizations may discharge into City sewers. Vancouver is part of the Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District.
- Learn about the Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District
- Read the Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District Bylaw
Wastewater discharge permits for manufacturing and industry are defined under Sewer and Watercourse Bylaw 8093.
With your completed application, you must provide
- Proof of your current business license
- Proof of a registry search (within 30 days of application date) showing that your company is registered with BC’s provincial Ministry of Finance
Process and timeline
- Bring your completed application, supporting documents, and permit fee to the appropriate address (addresses are listed on the right).
- New applications are reviewed by staff in the Environmental Protection Branch. This can take up to 3 months.
- Once your application is approved, you must provide water samples monthly, and may face a spot audit at any time.
Amend your permit
A minor amendment to your permit involves:
- Changing your company’s name or legal address
- Changing your monitoring program
- Reducing the quantity of contaminants or flow requested
- Changing the discharge you are authorized for in a way that, in the opinion of the Sewage Control Manager, will mean equal or lower demand for regulation and treatment
- Changing the works or measures you are authorized for in a way that, in the opinion of the Sewage Control Manager, will mean equal or lower demand for regulation and treatment
A major amendment is any amendment that is not a minor amendment.
Transfer your permit
If you need to transfer your waste discharge permit because of a change in company name or ownership, complete the transfer application form.
Changing the company name will require amending your waste discharge permit. Changing ownership without changing the company name will not require amending your permit. However, you should complete the form so that the City's records are current.
Renew your permit
Near the anniversary date of your permit, you will receive an invoice for the fee amount for the upcoming year. That amount is based on the amount of discharge capacity you have requested.
If you do not need your permit any more, contact us and we will cancel it.