Sidewalk retail

You can license the use of sidewalk property owned by the City of Vancouver for retail and entertainment purposes. Visit the pages listed below to read more about these opportunities.

Retail opportunities for city sidewalk use

Street food vending permits

Permit, application and general information for street food vendors and food cart operators.

Roaming food vending

If you want to sell food on city property using a vending unit that you move from location to location, you need a roaming food vending permit.

Street vending (non-food)

Permit, application, and general information for non-food street vendors.

Mobile street vending at special events

A mobile special event vending permit lets you to sell goods within two blocks of the boundary of a City-recognized special event that is already at capacity with other vendors. Permits are sold by the day.

Large sidewalk patio (with railings) permit

This permit lets restaurants have outdoor seating up to the City sidewalk, surrounded by a railing. This permit is required to serve liquor on the patio. Learn more and apply for the permit.

Sidewalk patio without liquor service ("small patio") permit

This permit allows businesses to have sidewalk patios but not to serve liquor there. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, and download the application.

Merchandise display permit

This permit allows businesses to display merchandise for sale in display units on the sidewalk in front of their business. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, request an application.

Banners and flags

Find out how to apply to have street banners and flags installed advertising your non-profit group, charitable organization or special event in Vancouver.

Busking and entertainment

Street entertainment, or busking, is a popular form of public entertainment in Vancouver. Find out what is required to busk in Vancouver streets and parks.

Ask. Tell. Connect.

Phone 3-1-1 to ask, tell, and connect with the City

Outside Vancouver:

Speak your own language

When should you call 9-1-1? Click to find out       Deaf? Have difficulty speaking? Click to learn how to make a TTY call

More ways to contact us

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about business licences

Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon

Fax: 604-871-6394

Building permits

Building and renovating permits are in the Home, Property, and Development section.

Looking for a permit for your building or renovating project?

Go to the Home, Property, and Development section of the website.

Building and renovating permits

Last modified: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:54:24

Street food vending permitsRoaming food vendingStreet vending (non-food)Mobile street vending at special eventsMerchandise display permitLarge sidewalk patio (with railings) permitSidewalk patio without liquor service ("small patio") permit