Details on the program
The IMBL program streamlines the licensing process for construction- and trades-related businesses. It allows them to operate in all six participating municipalities with a single licence. This program was developed with the partner municipalities, Vancouver Economic Commission, Board of Trade, and Ministry of Jobs, Tourism, and Skills Training.
This initiative supports the City's goal for streamlining regulatory processes and advances the City's Economic Action Strategy for promoting a robust business climate.
The licensing process is simple, and will provide a number of benefits to:
- Businesses - savings in time and money due to a simplified process
- Citizens and consumers - greater choice in service providers
- Municipalities - increased licensing compliance and overall administrative efficiency
Who is eligible
Eligibility for a Metro West IMBL is open to trades contractors or other professionals related to the construction industry, or a contractor that performs maintenance, repair and/or inspections of land and buildings. The business must operate from a fixed location in any one of the six participating municipalities and must first get a regular business licence from the municipality where the business is located.
- If your business operates from a fixed location in Vancouver, you can email, or mail your application, or apply in person.
- If your business location is in any of the other participating municipalities, apply for the IMBL from your home municipality.
The fee for a Metro West IMBL is $250.00 and is not pro-rated. This is in addition to your home municipality's business licence fee.
The IMBL is valid for the same term as the regular business licence issued from your home municipality. The City of Vancouver business licence expires annually on December 31.
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm
8:30am to 4:00pm
Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon
Learn more about the IMBL regulations.
Learn more about the agreement between the six participating municipalities - Burnaby, Delta, New Westminster, Richmond, Surrey, and Vancouver.