Get help with a property concern

Collapsed building

The City of Vancouver puts limits on the things people can do on, and with, their property to help ensure that general standards of health, safety, and cleanliness are maintained for the benefit of everyone. If you are concerned about a property in your neighbourhood, the City may be able to help.

Concerns the City can help with

  • Properties in poor condition
  • Suspected hoarding 
  • Vehicles parked in the front yard
  • Visible mould in rental properties
  • Home-based businesses where customers are coming on site
  • Overgrown yards
  • Illegal suites and illegal uses
  • Operating without a business license
  • Fences in disrepair

Requesting an investigation

To request a property use inspection, call 3-1-1. You must give your name and contact information and specify the address in question. The inspector assigned to your complaint may contact you for more information before proceeding to the site.


If the situation calls for an inspection, our inspectors will follow up with you within a couple of days. They will try to schedule an inspection within a week.


If the inspector finds evidence of a problem, they will let you know. If the property owner is not there during the inspection, the inspector will send a letter describing what they found and what the next steps are.