Home > Home, Property, and Development > Water, sewer, and energy > Water quality and pressure > Problems with water quality or pressure

Problems with water quality or pressure

Find out when to call the City versus a plumber for water pressure problems.

Have a problem with water quality or water pressure at your home or business? The City of Vancouver can help you find the source of the problem.

We also fix problems in areas we maintain on public property.

Use this guide to find the next steps to resolve problems with water quality and pressure. When we suggest to call a plumber, you may be able to repair the problem yourself.

Problem Call 3-1-1 Call a plumber
Cloudy or brown (turbid) water from your taps or your neighbour's taps that doesn't clear up, even after running cold water for 15 minutes

Phone icon

Water discoloured, has a poor taste, or smell

Phone icon

No water flowing from all taps in your home or in your neighbours' homes

Phone icon

Sudden drop in water pressure in your entire home and several neighbours are affected

Phone icon

Low water pressure or no water flowing from any taps in your home and none of your neighbours are affected

Phone icon

Phone icon

Sudden high water pressure

Phone icon

Excessively hot water or no hot water at all

Phone icon

Low water pressure in only one faucet, tap, or fixture

Phone icon

Water doesn't work in one area of your home or water pipes may be frozen

Phone icon

Request a City water service crew

When you call 3-1-1 to request a City crew to investigate a water quality or pressure problem:

  • For non-emergencies, only a property owner, and not a tenant, can request the City to dispatch a crew.
  • Charges may apply if the problem is not caused by the City water system.
  • Someone who can approve the possibility that the City may charge for the service call will need to be on site to let the crew in when they arrive.

Water service call fees and hours

Fees are based on the scheduled time of your service call. Tax is included.

Scheduled time of service call Cost per service call
Regular service calls
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6:00pm $50.00
Saturday and Sunday, 8:30am to 6:00pm $50.00
Emergency service calls
Holidays anytime and all times not listed above  $200.00
(includes follow-ups within 2 hours)

 We cover the cost of repairing water service leaks on City property only. If you request a service call and the cause of the leak is on private property, we will bill the property owner for the fees above. We don't repair water leaks on private property.

Ask. Tell. Connect.

Phone 3-1-1 to ask, tell, and connect with the City

Outside Vancouver:

Speak your own language

When should you call 9-1-1? Click to find out       Deaf? Have difficulty speaking? Click to learn how to make a TTY call

More ways to contact us

Commercial buildings

If you have concerns about water pressure in a commercial building, contact 3-1-1.

Health concerns

If you have health-related concerns about water quality, contact Vancouver Coastal Health at 604-675-3800.

Flooding and drainage problems

Water leak, flood, or drainage backup

When you find water where it shouldn't be, we'll help you find out who to call.

Floods and backups