Start a community garden or orchard
The City and Park Board supports you and your community group to develop new urban agriculture projects in parks and on City-owned land.
Is there an ideal piece of land in your neighbourhood that could become a community garden or orchard? Find out how to start your project.
Projects in City parks or other City-owned land
Want to start your project in a City park or on City-owned property? Tell us your ideas!
Fill out an expression of interest application. We review applications each fall.
Apply by October 11, 2016 to have your project considered for support.
- Identify a potential site in your preferred neighbourhood. To check if the land is owned by the City or Park Board, phone 3-1-1.
- Review our expectations for how you plan and operate your project.
- For projects in parks: Read the urban agriculture policy for parks
- For projects on City property: Read the City's operational guidelines for community gardens on City lands other than parks (185 KB)
- Learn how to start and design your project in our Urban Agriculture Garden Guide (27 MB).
- Complete an expression of interest (2 MB)
- Email your expression of interest to email@example.com.
- We review your application and, if you're successful, contact you to submit a formal proposal.
- We work with you to complete your design and help you prepare the site.
Projects on non-City land
If you would like to start a new urban agriculture project on non-City land, fill out an application for assistance.
This is intended for non-profit organizations and cooperatives wanting to start new urban agricultural projects that believe that small is beautiful, and make strong connections and enhancements to existing or new programs, support education, establish community connections, and build capacity.