Home > Streets and transportation > Parking > Residential parking permits > Short-term and visitor parking permits

Short-term and visitor parking permits

Short-term residential parking permits are good for rental vehicles, courtesy cars, borrowed cars, and can also be used if you have recently moved to Vancouver from another province.

Visitor residential parking permits can be used for out-of-town visitors, housesitters, homecare providers, and contractors that need temporary street parking on your block.

Residents may apply in person for short-term and visitor parking permits up to 2 weeks in advance. Temporary short term and visitor parking permits are available for up to 3 months (where applicable). 

Reserve street parking for your moving truck

To ensure your movers can conveniently access your property, apply for a temporary special zone permit to reserve street parking for the moving truck.

How to get a permit

To buy a permit, you or your guest can visit our parking permit offices in person.

Before you visit:

  1. Make sure the vehicle is insured.
  2. Gather the required documents based on your situation below.

Renting a vehicle

Using a courtesy vehicle

Borrowing someone's car

Moving from out of province

Hosting an out-of-town visitor

Hosting a housesitter while you travel

Needing homecare service

Hiring a contractor to work in your home

Please use your permit responsibly

If you use your short-term residential parking permit with a vehicle other than the one it was approved for, you may not be allowed to purchase a residential parking permit in the future.

As well, you are responsible for any temporary permits issued to out-of-town visitors, housesitters, homecare providers, or contractors parking at your home.

Short-term and visitor parking permit fees

Type of temporary permit Rate
Contractor $5.36 per day ($5.10 + $0.16 GST)
Courtesy vehicle No charge
Homecare See annual resident parking permit fees
West End Permit zone use the non-market rate of $79.45 per year
All other $10.71 per week ($10.20 + $0.51 GST

You pay for the permit when you apply for it. We accept cash, cheque, debit, and credit card.

Parking permits for students

From another part of BC

If you are moving to Vancouver from within BC, your insurance must be changed to show your address is in the permit zone before you can get an annual residential parking permit.

From outside BC

To be eligible for a residential permit, your vehicle insurance must be changed to ICBC insurance at the permit area address, or you must apply for Exemption status through ICBC. Exemption status allows you to forego changing your vehicle insurance to BC insurance.

For information, call ICBC at 604-443-4624 or 1-800-665-4336.

Please bring the following:

  1. Valid out-of-province vehicle insurance and registration
  2. Student exemption form filled out and stamped by ICBC
  3. Two pieces of residential ID that show your address is in the permit zone, with one item dated within the last three months. For example:
  • Driver's license
  • Canada Post change of address form
  • Non-personal mail (a phone, cable, or hydro bill, or a credit card statement)
  • Printed electronic bill or statement
  • Rental agreement

The residential rate of the permit zone will apply. The fee will be prorated for the duration of the student exemption.

If you need to park your out-of-province vehicle immediately while you wait for the Student Exemption to be processed by ICBC, we can issue you a free-of-charge temporary permit for up to one month. Bring in a piece of residential ID that is dated within the last 3 months, such as a rental contract or utility bill, along with your out-of-province vehicle insurance and registration to our obtain the permit.

Not eligible for permits

Trucks are not eligible for residential parking permits.

Under section 20 of the Street and Traffic Bylaw, vehicles longer than 6.4 m (21 feet) or higher than 2.2 m (7 feet and 2.61 inches) are not eligible for residential parking permits. This includes:

  • Large motorhomes
  • Trucks
  • Limousines
  • Most Sprinter vans

Street and Traffic bylaw 

Uninsured vehicles

Residential parking permits are not valid, nor are they issued, on uninsured vehicles or vehicles with off-street storage insurance. Vehicles without proper insurance are prohibited under the BC Motor Vehicles Act from parking on the street or lanes.