Public Hearings are held to consider rezoning matters and heritage designations. The purpose of the hearing is to consider and decide on a rezoning application. Zoning bylaws are different than most City bylaws. City Council must hold a Public Hearing before Council can change a zoning bylaw.
A proposed zoning bylaw change is presented as an application. Council may consider more than one application at a public hearing.
There are 12 to 20 Public Hearings held each year at 6:00pm in the Council Chamber at City Hall. Usually, they are held on a Tuesday. If the business of the meeting is not completed on that day, they continue on the following pre-scheduled date.
Everyone is welcome to attend.
Speaking at a Public Hearing
The Vancouver Charter requires that Council hear from the public about rezoning and heritage designation issues before making a decision.
Members of the public can present their comments or concerns about a proposed zoning bylaw change. Public comments or concerns should address only the merits of the application. Council cannot involve itself in any other discussion that is not related to the specific application.
Add your name to the speakers list
Register by email or phone before 5:00pm on the day of the Public Hearing:
- 604-829-4238 (Monday to Friday except holidays, 8:30am to 5:00pm)
Register in person between 5:30pm to 6:00pm, right before the Public Hearing starts.
Other ways to share your views at a Public Hearing
You can also submit written comments, which will be distributed to all members of Council. These comments, in addition to the speaker comments, will be considered by Council in making a decision.
All submitted comments will be distributed to Council and posted on the City's website, provided that the comments:
- Identify the author by name (if the author is not identified, the comments will not be circulated nor posted to the website)
- Are received by the City Clerk less than 15 minutes after the public hearing's last speaker is heard by Council and the Chair announces the close of the speakers list
- Do not exceed 1,500 words, if the comments are submitted after the start of the public hearing (comments submitted before the public hearing are not limited to 1,500)
Late comments and those comments exceeding 1,500 words submitted after the start of the public hearing will be distributed to members of Council after the application is approved and the bylaw is enacted.
To submit public comments to Council:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail a letter to City Hall, City Clerk's Office, 3rd Floor, 453 West 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4
Petitions are considered public comments.
All petitions are to include a statement that clearly indicates whether the names included on the petition are in favour or against the application.
Petitions should include the hand-printed names, and original signatures.
- At least six members of City Council must be present to proceed
- Mayor or Deputy Mayor (Chair)