City issues 47 temporary expedited patio permits and expands program to patios on private property
Since launching the Temporary Expedited Patio Program on Monday, June 1, we have issued 47 permits with 101 applications received. This includes:
|Status||Public patios||Private patios|
Expanding the program for private patios
To help businesses impacted by COVID-19, last night City Council approved a series of steps to expand the Temporary Expedited Patio Program to now include patios on private properties.
Unlike patios on public property, which can be approved by us within two business days, patios on private property requires a more comprehensive application and building review. Staff expect permits for private property to be available by the end of the month with approval granted within five business days for patios that do not require construction.
A public hearing regarding patios for breweries, wineries, and distillers will be held, on June 30 (pending Council approval). If the proposed by-law is passed, it will enable operators to approval for a temporary patio on private property valid until October 31.
Over the next few weeks, City staff will work with breweries, wineries, and distilleries to prepare their applications. If approved by Council, breweries, wineries, and distilleries who submit completed development permit applications that do not require construction can expect to receive their permit for a patio on private property within five business days.
As of June 1, breweries with an existing restaurant or lounge seeking a patio can apply for a temporary patio permit online through the Temporary Expedited Patio Program.
- Temporary expedited patio permits allow restaurants and liquor serving establishments to take advantage of the improving weather and expand their indoor seating out onto street, parking, and sidewalk space in front or next to their business until October 31
- Businesses can apply online for their temporary small, large, curbside, or private patio permit
- Applicants who meet the mandatory requirements for public patios can expect to receive their permit within two business days of submitting their completed application
- Applicants who meet the mandatory requirements for private patios without construction can expect to receive their permit within five business days of submitting their completed application
- There is no application or permit fee
- Businesses intending to serve alcohol on their patio must also meet Provincial liquor licensing requirements External website, opens in new tab and obtain provincial approval for a temporary service area expansion
- To speed up the application process, we have provided template patio drawings for businesses to use in their online application, and dedicated teams are reviewing applications as they come in
Ongoing business support
In an effort to assist the business community, we have established the COVID-19 Business Communications and Support Office.
The office is a single point of contact for Vancouver’s local business owners to get information from the City of Vancouver regarding business support programs, to learn what City-run business services are currently available, and to make suggestions to us concerning business and the economy.
Local businesses seeking help can connect with the office by:
- On March 19, Council passed a by-law that allowed us to issue emergency orders to help curb the spread of COVID-19
- On March 20, 2020, we issued an order restricting restaurants from offering table service and limiting the number of customers in any place to no more than 10 people - only takeout or delivery were allowed
- On May 12, Council directed City staff to work on a new, faster online application process to provide increased flexibility for restaurants to provide service outdoors
- On May 19, we rescinded the emergency order to shut down restaurant table service
- On June 1, we launched the Temporary Expedited Patio Program
- On June 11, Council approved by-law amendments to include patios on private property as part of the Temporary Expedited Patio Program