City rescinds emergency order to shut down restaurant table service
We're rescinding the order issued on March 20 that shut down all restaurant table service as a result of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
On March 19, Council passed a by-law that allowed the City of Vancouver to issue emergency orders to help curb the spread of COVID-19. Under that authority, City Manager Sadhu Johnston issued an order prohibiting customers from eating inside licensed premises and limiting the number of customers in any place to no more than 10 people.
BC's restart plan
In an effort to provide clarity to Vancouver’s business owners and operators, we're now rescinding this order as the Province of British Columbia begins its restart plan.
All business owners are still subject to orders issued by the Province of British Columbia. Dr. Bonnie Henry has issued a new order allowing food service establishments to restart in-person service under new conditions as of Tuesday, May 19, 2020. Read the details External website, opens in new tab
Based on the direction from Council to provide increased flexibility for restaurants to provide service outdoors, we'll begin accepting applications for temporary patio permits within the next two weeks and will expedite the review of those applications. Additional detail regarding temporary patio permits will be communicated in the near future.
As part of this initiative, City staff are engaging with Business Improvement Associations in each neighbourhood to identify public spaces, including sidewalks and parking, that can be re-purposed to support local businesses.
COVID-19 Business Communications and Support Office
In an effort to assist the businesses community, we've established the COVID-19 Business Communications and Support Office.
The office is a single point of contact for Vancouver’s local business owners to get information from the City of Vancouver regarding business support programs, to learn what City-run business services are currently available, and to make suggestions to the City concerning business and the economy.
- On March 19, Council passed a by-law that allowed the City of Vancouver to issue emergency orders to help curb the spread of COVID-19
- On March 20, 2020, the City issued an order restricting restaurants from offering table service and limiting the number of customers in any place to no more than 10 people
- Only takeout or delivery were allowed
- Establishments found to be operating table service were subject to enforcement
- On March 26, one business licence was suspended for three days due to violations of both the City Order and those of the provincial health officer