Community Amenity Contributions

Children painting at Hillcrest Community Centre opening

Community Amenity Contributions (CACs) are in-kind or cash contributions provided by property developers when City Council grants development rights through rezoning.

The demand on City facilities increases with rezonings, because of new residents and employees in the area. To lessen the impact on the community CACs address this increased demand by adding and expanding City facilities.

CACs help the City build and expand facilities including:

  • Park space
  • Libraries
  • Childcare facilities
  • Community centres
  • Transportation services
  • Cultural facilities
  • Neighbourhood houses

CAC policies

CAC policies vary across the city and are applied differently, depending on planning and land use change.

  • All downtown rezonings (see boundaries below) are processed with negotiated CACs on a site-by-site basis.
  • Many rezonings in the rest of the city outside of downtown are covered by the citywide CAC policy (see boundaries below), which sets out a framework for standard rezonings, non-standard rezonings, and exemptions.
  • Standard rezonings use a flat rate target approach and non-standard rezonings use a negotiated approach, evaluated on a site-by-site basis.

For more on CAC policies, read Community Amenity Contributions Through Rezonings (1.5 MB).

For more on the negotiated approach, read our brochure Rezonings and CACs - negotiating for a more liveable city (927 KB).

Map of downtown CAC boundaries

Click to expand the map.

Map of downtown CAC boundaries

Map of city-wide CAC boundaries

Click to expand the map.

Map of city-wide CAC boundaries

Annual reports and related documents

Annual reports on Community Amenity Contributions and density bonusing

To learn more about cash and in-kind amenities secured through new development, see the annual reports on amenities secured through community amenity contributions and density bonusing.

CAC Policy and Housing Affordability: Review for the City of Vancouver

In 2014, a consultant report by Coriolis Consulting was commissioned to explore the potential impact of community amenity contributions on housing affordability.

If you would like historical reports, please email

Compare Development Cost Levies and Community Amenity Contributions

DCLs vs CACs

View a comparison chart of Development Cost Levies and Community Amenity Contributions.

Ask. Tell. Connect.

Phone 3-1-1 to ask, tell, and connect with the City

Outside Vancouver:

Speak your own language

When should you call 9-1-1? Click to find out       Deaf? Have difficulty speaking? Click to learn how to make a TTY call

More ways to contact us

Funding cultural spaces

In the past 25 years, CACs have helped fund over ten arts and culture facilities, such as the Orpheum renovation, Vancouver International Film Centre, and the Contemporary Art Gallery. 

How we create cultural spaces