Community Amenity Contributions
Community Amenity Contributions (CACs) are in-kind or cash contributions provided by property developers when City Council grants development rights through rezoning.
The demand on City facilities increases with rezonings, because of new residents and employees in the area. To lessen the impact on the community CACs address this increased demand by adding and expanding City facilities.
CACs help the City build and expand facilities like:
- Park space
- Childcare facilities
- Community centres
- Transportation services
- Cultural facilities
- Neighbourhood houses
CAC policy areas and map
There are two types of CAC policy areas in Vancouver:
- The citywide CAC area applies to most of the city. For all rezonings in the Citywide CAC area, the CAC is determined through a negotiated approach.
- Specific CAC policy areas apply to locations with their own CAC and/or public benefit policies. For all rezonings in the area-specific CAC policies, the CAC is determined through a CAC target and/or negotiated approach.
For more on CAC policies, read Community Amenity Contributions through rezonings (1.34 MB).
For more on the negotiated approach, read our brochure Rezonings and CACs - negotiating for a more liveable city (927 KB).
Annual reports and related documents
Annual reports on Community Amenity Contributions and density bonusing
To learn more about cash and in-kind amenities secured through new development, see the annual reports on amenities secured through community amenity contributions and density bonusing.
- 2015 Annual Report on Community Amenity Contributions & Density Bonusing (572 KB)
- 2014 Annual Report on Community Amenity Contributions & Density Bonusing (1.4 MB)
- 2013 Annual Report on Community Amenity Contributions & Density Bonusing (473 KB)
- 2012 Annual Report on Community Amenity Contributions & Density Bonusing (404 KB)
CAC Policy and Housing Affordability: Review for the City of Vancouver
In 2014, a consultant report by Coriolis Consulting was commissioned to explore the potential impact of community amenity contributions on housing affordability.
CAC target inflationary rate adjustments
The annual reports detail annual inflationary adjustments to all CAC rates. The adjustments are based on property and construction inflation with the purpose to maintain our ability to provide necessary growth-related amenities.
- 2016 DCL Inflationary Rate Adjustments to Development Cost Levies (DCLs),
Density Bonus Contributions and Community Amenity Contribution (CAC) Targets (747 KB)
If you would like historical reports, email Finance.Growth@vancouver.ca.