Residential building lockbox permit
A lockbox allows firefighters and rescue workers to enter your building without causing extra damage during an emergency. The lockbox contains keys for the main entrance, common areas, roof access, stairwells, and other public areas of the building.
A building lockbox permit is needed to install a lockbox in a multi-unit residence.
The City is here to help
Contact the Fire Prevention Branch of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services directly for help navigating through the permit process, or for more information.
Contact any locksmith to install a Mul-T-Lock system lockbox. Authorized locksmiths may be able to complete the permit application process for you before they install the lockbox.
Apply for a lockbox permit
In the City of Vancouver
You will need a building lockbox permit to complete your lockbox installation. Either the property owner or the locksmith can apply for a lockbox permit.
You may apply for your lockbox permit in person at the Development and Building Services Centre.
After you receive your permit
- Send your lockbox lid to the Fire Prevention Branch.
- Request the installation of your lockbox lid using your online permit account or by phoning 3-1-1.
- A fire prevention officer will will contact you to schedule the installation of the lid and keys into the lockbox.
In the University Endowment Lands
- Download the UEL lockbox inspection form. (174 KB)
- Complete the top portion of the form.
- Contact Fire Prevention to request an inspection of the installation.