Rock pit inspection
A rock pit is a trench filled with rocks that is fed directly from the rainwater leaders.
Rock pit permits are typically issued when the related building permit or development-building is issued. If you received a rock pit permit, you will need an inspection of your rock pit.
- If an inspection request is received before 2:00pm on a business day, the inspection will be booked for the following business day.
- If an inspection request is received any time during the weekend or on a holiday, the inspection will generally be booked for two business days later.
- If you want to receive a confirmation call from the inspector before the inspection, leave your name and phone number when booking your inspection.
- The length of the inspection itself will vary, depending on how much work must be inspected, and what the inspector finds once on site.
- While on site, the inspector will note the results of the inspection directly on the approved plans, which should be kept on site in the provided inspection bag.
Booking an inspection
To book an inspection for permitted work, call one of the following:
- 3-1-1 (outside Vancouver 604-873-7000)
- the 24-hour Rock Pit Inspection line at 604-873-7058
When you request an inspection, have the following information on hand:
- Permit Number
- Address of inspection site
- Type of inspection required
All requests made before 2:00pm will be booked for the following business day.
Cancelling an inspection
To cancel an inspection
- Call 3-1-1. If you cancel before the cancellation deadline, you will receive a case number.
- Make sure that someone on site knows the case number so that they can give it to the inspector if the inspector shows up at the original time. This will help you avoid being charged a re-inspection fee.
If you do not cancel before the cancellation deadline, you may have to pay a re-inspection fee when you re-book.
||Before 2:00pm on Friday. If Friday was a holiday, before Thursday 2:00pm.
||Before 2:00pm on Monday. If Monday was a holiday, before Friday 2:00pm.
||Before 2:00pm on Tuesday.
||Before 2:00pm on Wednesday.
||Before 2:00pm on Thursday.
Inspection fees are included in the permit.
However, you will have to pay a re-inspection fee of $163.00 plus GST if:
- You miss one or more meetings as a result of access
- The inspector finds incomplete work that had been identified on a previous inspection
- The inspector finds too many non-compliances
Guide to permit- and inspection-related fees
View the schedule of fees and permits (400 KB)
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm
8:30am to 4:00pm
Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon